Can't get palms

For cold hardy palm tree enthusiasts.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

yuccaman
Seedling

Can't get palms

Post by yuccaman » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:36 am

I called broadway nursery and they said the threw their almost dead palms out. I waited to long. Because its to late to plant now. He said I can't put cactus in too.I might come back to this forum when I get my palms next spring :)

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

What type of palms?

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:04 am

Donnie what type of palms did they get rid of ? It`s hard to believe they were in such bad shape being from a nursery. No need to wait till spring to be part of this forum.
John
Okanagan Palms and Tropicals
6b-7a

yuccaman
Seedling

Needle palms and sabals

Post by yuccaman » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:21 am

They got rid of them becuase its the end of growing season and the heat was making the turn brown. My chinese fan palm is dying too :( I might stay here and talk about my yuccas :) Its to late now. Their yucca rostratas and other trunkies are gone too. They will get a whole load of yuccas and palms next spring. The bananas are done to. Thanks what they said on the phone when I called.Even if I did plant a palm or trunked yucca the heat would kill them.Same thing happing to my palm.

PhilMusa
Seedling

Palm for sale in Ontario

Post by PhilMusa » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:59 pm

Yuccaman,

If you are looking for a Trachycarpus Fortunei I know that there is a person on another forum who may part with some. He lives in Markham. Here's the link to that thread.
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load ... 30423.html

Regards
Phil

BTW, no need to leave the forum until next year. You never know what you can learn :read2: from this knowledgable group.

Wes North Van

Broadway

Post by Wes North Van » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:14 pm

I am surprised he threw out his palms. It is not that hot there. Sabals and needles are from very hot areas. Hotter than Toronto. It doesn't make sense. My needle from them is fine. Some of the older fronds turned yellow but that is probably due to my soil which is very sandy and lacks nutrients. I am trying bllod meal around it right now to see if I can green it up.
Let me know if he gets more palms in next year because if I can' t get any sabal minors here I know of alot of palm freaks here that will get together with me and place a large order on them.
Yuccaman make sure you stay in touch on this forum. I would like to continue to hear how things are going out there.
Wes North Vancouver Zone 8b/9a
Keats Island BC Zone 8a
Palm Springs CA Zone 9b/10a

nucci60
Sprout

Post by nucci60 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:14 am

:?: Can't folks in Canada get palms off ebay? won't they ship there, or does Canada have restrictions? I have recieved many nice palms from ebay. Just got 3 one gallon trachys for $10.49, one is as big as a 3 gallon.

yuccaman
Seedling

Post by yuccaman » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:57 am

I tried that and I looked for cactus agaves palms and cycads but the are all in USA. I found one Opuntia fragilis that was in alberta for $4 and shipping $8. They won't really ship American plants because of effected plants that could spread sickness.I will try nucci60 idea and philmusa's to :)

PhilMusa
Seedling

Broadway Palms available at 30% in store discount

Post by PhilMusa » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:33 am

To all,

I just heard that Broadway in St. Catherines Ont still have some Trachycarpus Fortunei available. And if purchased in person during July you receive a 30% discount. Below are their prices. Also, they have listed on their site Needle palms as well as S.Minor but I'm not sure if they are actually available.

1gal $14.99
3gal $39.99
5gal $75.00
7gal $125.00

If you are interested I would call them to confirm availabilty and cost. Here's their info,
Broadway Gardens
74 Broadway Ave
St. Catharines, ON
L2M 1M4
(905) 935-4659
http://www.millionplants.com/products/h ... icals.html