Help with my Windmill Palm.

For cold hardy palm tree enthusiasts.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

palmmandan
Sprout

Help with my Windmill Palm.

Post by palmmandan » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:48 pm

I ordered a 7 foot Windmill palm last week and plated it in the ground. Some of the older leaves were frayed from maybe a wind storm when it was growing in Georgia. Should I cut off all the old leaves or will that stress out this palm too much? Some of the leaves seem to be drooping. The new fronds coming out of the spear seem ok. Why would these leaves be sulky? Is it normal to have a couple weeks of shock to the plant after transplanting? I followed all the transplanting guidelines. Good draining soil.

Cali-wanna-b
Seedling

Post by Cali-wanna-b » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:39 am

Dan,

It is most likely going through some shock. Your soil is most likely still around 50-55* which your palm's roots are adjusting to. In additon, make sure you don't over water it. Normal spring rain fall should be plenty for it. I would only water it if you go a week or so without a good rain.
Not the pot I was expecting........

bedbug2999
Seed

wind mill palms

Post by bedbug2999 » Fri May 09, 2008 4:24 pm

don't feel bad having the same problem but mine are turning yellow also anyone help you out yet let me know if you have any ideas or someone helps you thanks jake

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Fri May 09, 2008 5:05 pm

palmandan and bedbug:

A pic from each of you would give everybody a better idea of what's up with them.
Barb