Where is the warm weather??

For cold hardy palm tree enthusiasts.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

yuccaman
Seedling

Where is the warm weather??

Post by yuccaman » Sun May 21, 2006 4:51 pm

Everyone is been in the heat while we are getting very cold temperatures. In trenton our record low is 5C!! its been the cold since 1989. in 1989 was only 6C. Its been so cold that I had to turn on the heat. My madagascar dragon tree had almost died during the cold weather. Im worried about my palm. I just came back from windsor ontario and thats why I changed my zone for a bit. Now im in zone 5. Windsor was warmer atleast 21C. We had a severe hailstorm with ice pellets. The leaves on the trees are starting to look like autumn.Everything will start to die. I need help. My palm is hail damaged but it's fine. Heres the hail picture.Image

PhilMusa
Seedling

Post by PhilMusa » Sun May 21, 2006 8:50 pm

I can't believe how freaking cold it was today :shock: . Though the high was 13C/56F today, that occured at Midnight. It was so cold that areas north of us got snow flurries. At least there is a warm up coming this week :) too bad I'll be in Nova Scotia...not that there is anything wrong with NS.

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Sun May 21, 2006 10:28 pm

I'm glad that it has cooled off some. We don't have it as cold over night as you guys do. After 2 record highs last week(30 and 31) and unusual humidity this weather is a welcome relief. The sun, heat and rain have my early Irises and all my columbine in bloom. The surviving cacti are budded out and ready to bloom as well. Everything, including the weeds, appears to be about 3 weeks early.

Allen
You don't have to be crazy to grow palms in Alberta..... But it helps

yuccaman
Seedling

Warm weather is coming

Post by yuccaman » Mon May 22, 2006 6:36 am

I saw the forcast on canada's weather network and said temperatures for trenton are 20C 22C 28C 31C. Toronto is warmer but we are going have some heat to recover the leaves on the trees.It's going to cool down in edmonton.We had a very early snow melt. Everything grew early too.

ryan
Seedling

Post by ryan » Tue May 23, 2006 7:27 pm

The warm weather is welcome in my backyard. The palms went out a month ago, but now that the cold spell has ended I can finally plant my bananas. I have been waiting too long for this day to come.

yuccaman
Seedling

Post by yuccaman » Wed May 24, 2006 4:11 am

I might put out my chinese fan palm for the summer. My three sugar maples leaves wilted a bit during this cold spell. My tulip trees leaves are hail damaged. What a terrible month of May we had.

Some trees leaves look like fall a bit here but they should recover. Im putting out my cactus too.