53%
Sabal palmetto
47%

Total votes: 15

Paul Ont
Large Palm

Which palm do you perfer?

Post by Paul Ont » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:48 am

After seeing the results from another board, I'm curious to see how people here respond (with the PNW bias!)... The other poll went decidedly one way. This poll is based on a pure asthetics (hardiness is not a concern)...

taylor
Sprout

Post by taylor » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:00 am

I love Sabal Palmetto's trunk, saw at least 5 on the way to my dentist the other day...but then again I saw 8 Trachys...

Where can I get a Sabal Palmetto?
Taylor

Paul Ont
Large Palm

Post by Paul Ont » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:17 am

Hey! If you have he option I'd say head for Gary's nursery in New Bern NC (I see that you're in VA)... I realize that it could be a 3 hour + drive, but I'd say it's worth it if you swing the trip... He has both large hurricane cut palmettos and, more importantly, container grown palms as well!

taylor
Sprout

Post by taylor » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:34 am

Hey Paul,
I was informed of them last night. It says he ships "pooled orders" to VB, which is where I am. I don't know how he "pools" the orders...but that would be nice. I would like a lot of the stuff he has.

Also, Pungo Palms...but I don't know what they have and its an hour drive to get there (even though its in the same city as me). That's the problem, as I am 15 and don't drive yet.

Thanks and can't wait to hear more...
Taylor
Taylor

turtile
Seedling

Post by turtile » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:33 pm

taylor wrote:Hey Paul,
I was informed of them last night. It says he ships "pooled orders" to VB, which is where I am. I don't know how he "pools" the orders...but that would be nice. I would like a lot of the stuff he has.

Also, Pungo Palms...but I don't know what they have and its an hour drive to get there (even though its in the same city as me). That's the problem, as I am 15 and don't drive yet.

Thanks and can't wait to hear more...
Taylor
Pungo Palms has Sabal Palmetto. They have many other trunking Sabal there. If you do decide to go there, I would email first.

I would try Sabal sp. Birmingham. Its much hardier than Palmetto but its very slow growing. Another one to try is Sabal xTexensis.

The SE Palm Society meeting is in Norfolk this August. There should be a lot of different kinds of plants available.

taylor
Sprout

Post by taylor » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:58 pm

Hey,
I just emailed them. I hope they reply... :D

Also, I got advised to do Tex and Birmingham too, but where can I get them? I know Gary has them but I can't get down there (don't drive) unless it was a pooled order...

I'll have to go to the meeting in August! It's less than 10 minutes away from my house!
I hope I don't forget...

Thanks,
Taylor
Taylor

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:13 pm

I am interested primarily in Palms that I might be able to grow here .Both grow too tall for me to protect.

Allen
You don't have to be crazy to grow palms in Alberta..... But it helps

turtile
Seedling

Post by turtile » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:56 pm

taylor wrote: Also, I got advised to do Tex and Birmingham too, but where can I get them? I know Gary has them but I can't get down there (don't drive) unless it was a pooled order...

I'll have to go to the meeting in August! It's less than 10 minutes away from my house!
I hope I don't forget...
Pungo palms should have both of them (I think the Birminghams come from Gary). Hopefully I'll be able to make the meeting this year.

Wes North Van

Trachycarpus Fortunei

Post by Wes North Van » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:32 pm

I voted for t. Fortunei.
Mainly because they do grow well here and I find that they are a good looking palm.
If you want a bare trunk you can strip the trunks.

T.Fortunei love our weather and seem to look better here in the PNW than just about anywhere else
Wes North Vancouver Zone 8b/9a
Keats Island BC Zone 8a
Palm Springs CA Zone 9b/10a

taylor
Sprout

Post by taylor » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:41 pm

No reply from email but I will be patient.

Taylor

turtile wrote:
taylor wrote: Also, I got advised to do Tex and Birmingham too, but where can I get them? I know Gary has them but I can't get down there (don't drive) unless it was a pooled order...

I hope I don't forget...
Pungo palms should have both of them (I think the Birminghams come from Gary). Hopefully I'll be able to make the meeting this year.
Taylor

Paul Ont
Large Palm

Post by Paul Ont » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:33 am

Right now we're at 50%... I must be honest I expected more of a bias toward T. fortunei with the number of PNW posters! I voted for Sabal palmetto, as it reminds me more of the tropics... For me, the only palm that strikes a tropical look like a palmetto is Cocos!
I like fortunei, and it is one of the few palms that it is possible to have sucess with in colder zones... But it will never have the tropical appeal of a robust, well grown, palmetto! Again, just my humble opinion! I'm not going to stop trying to overwinter fortunei in my z.4b/5a at all!

Is there anyone here from the PNW who is growing Sabal palmetto? I know of one on SSI, but haven't seen a recent pic!

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:59 pm

The palm I prefer isn't on your list :lol:

Cheers, Barrie.

Wes North Van

Barrie

Post by Wes North Van » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:23 pm

Which palm is that?
Keats Island BC Zone 8a

Wes North Van

Paul

Post by Wes North Van » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:22 am

If you ever go to the Mayan Riveria, you will see palms that look like trachycarpus fortunei, when you strip the fibre and old fronds off.

Two species that come to mind are coccothrinax and Thrinax Radiata.

They have simliar fronds, petitoles and again when you strip a fortunei, the trunks look simliar.

Me, I don't mind the hairy trunks but I will eventually strip one of mine just for something different.
Keats Island BC Zone 8a

Cali-wanna-b
Seedling

Post by Cali-wanna-b » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:44 am

I like the look of the sabal palmetto more, but they grow like concrete for me.
Not the pot I was expecting........

Barrie

Re: Barrie

Post by Barrie » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:26 pm

Wes North Van wrote:Which palm is that?
Bismarckia nobilis - with the real silver fronds.

Cheers, Barrie.