New spring Jubaea growth.

Palm Tree and Exotic plants Photo Gallery

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Barrie

New spring Jubaea growth.

Post by Barrie » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:44 pm

Here's my Jubaea pushing some new mid-March growth.
Cheers. Barrie.

Wes North Van

Barrie

Post by Wes North Van » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:05 pm

That's great it is starting this early to push out new growth. A true sign spring is here.
I have two seedlings that do not have a mature frond yet but I figure this summer. Is it too early to plant them outside? I know yours picked up speed in the growth department once you planted them in the ground but at what size did you plant them.
One good thing about the size they are right now is they would be easy to protect.
Wes North Vancouver Zone 8b/9a
Keats Island BC Zone 8a
Palm Springs CA Zone 9b/10a

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

Jub

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:27 pm

Barrie looks like it`s putting on some real growth this spring. I have four Jubs all still strap stage going to be potted for their duration. I think the heat in the summer here will fry them. Everything I`ve read says they don`t like the heat. Any problems in the summer with yours?
John
Okanagan Palms and Tropicals
6b-7a

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:04 am

Wes (North Van) - This one was seed grown, and 10 years old this spring. I planted it last summer and with most newly planted palms, top growth is slow during the first while. It's first 9 years while it was potted stayed in my coldframe with no additional heat. I do think planting one even earlier should produce faster results, as the root system has a chance to grow to it's full capacity. You got me thinking ... I should plant one of my smaller ones as a comparison experiment.

John - Summer heat in the Okanagan is one thing, low humidity is another. I think if you can keep an almost daily routine of foliage spray, that may help. True you never (I know, never say never) see Jubaea in desert settings for that reason and the fact that they're much harder to find and much more expensive. If you're in in zone 6 there, winters will certainly be a challenge. Even small Jubaea are big and once they begin to mature, become massive. Summer heat isn't a factor here as we only get the few short hot spells when temps are in excess of 95f. The vast majority of temps are between 75f and 85f.

Cheers, Barrie.