Advice on Needle palm location

For cold hardy palm tree enthusiasts.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Cali-wanna-b
Seedling

Advice on Needle palm location

Post by Cali-wanna-b » Wed May 14, 2008 6:18 pm

Hi all,

I picked up a 7gal Needle palm today along with a 7gal Silver Med Fan at my local box store. I have a location for the Med fan, but wanted to get some input on the needle palm. What is the best location for a Needle in zone 6? Also what kind of soil mix would be best? Never grew Needle palms and I have read they can be picky until established.

The Needle is a good 3' tall without the pot.

Not the pot I was expecting........

macario
Seedling

plams

Post by macario » Thu May 15, 2008 4:29 am

I have seen them do well in full sun but they seems to look the best when they get about 6 hours sun and the rest shade. Thats just my opinion.

turtile
Seedling

Post by turtile » Thu May 15, 2008 4:44 am

I would plant it in the South East side of the house. Mix perlite, organic material, and native soil. They like well drained, rich soil.

Did you purchase it from Home Depot? They have the same containers here except that we only have non hardy species (Phoenix, Washingtonia).

oppalm
Small Palm

Post by oppalm » Thu May 15, 2008 9:58 am

very very very nice Needle Palm. Not sure about the perfect sight for the needle, but I'd put it in a sheltered location (not out in the open) not exposed to drying north winter winds. I am guessing you have the perfect spot for it somewhere, just keep searching. nice finds.
Kent in Kansas
where it's cold in winter (always)
and hot in summer (usually)
<object width="290" height="130"><param name="movie" value="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_min ... sh&lang=EN" /><embed src="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_min ... sh&lang=EN" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="290" height="130" /></object>

Paul Ont
Large Palm

Post by Paul Ont » Thu May 15, 2008 11:33 am

I'd look for a HOT location for the needle. Somewhere where it will get maybe 4 hours of full sun a day. And yes, keep it out of the north wind (this can be accomplished with a wind screen). One thing that I'd reccomend is PLEANTY of water, especially for the first 3 or so years. Needles can actually display decent growth if given sun and LOTS of water... Probably has something to do with their lowland habitats in nature. Goodl uck!

Cali-wanna-b
Seedling

Post by Cali-wanna-b » Thu May 15, 2008 6:52 pm

Thanks all for the advice!! I was thinking of putting it where I had my robusta that got fried when the power went off during a 0* night. It gets about 5-6 hours of direct morning sun a day. The robusta grew well there so I would think the Needle would also.

Turtile

I got them at Lowe's. Long story short, I contacted Lowe's corporate office because I was tired of getting the run around with the local store managers about ordering cold hardy palms. Other Lowe's sells them, why not here? Apparently corporate lit a fire under their buts. I had a nice talk with the garden center manager about cold hardy palms and ordered a 15 gal needle palm, but when I went to pick it up it was the big trachy below. I couldn't be mad about getting a 5' trachy instead of a needle palm!!! They got in another 15 gal with the one I bought and six 7gal trachys. Apparently they have been selling good, because they got another shippment of 7 gal trachys as well as Silver Meds and Needles. :lol: The only problem is, I am going to go poor with the easy access I have to such nice cold hardy palms!!!!!! Turtile, I read on another board that a Philly Home Depot had some butias and trachys in a month ago.

Not the pot I was expecting........

turtile
Seedling

Post by turtile » Fri May 16, 2008 4:14 pm

I think I remember you posting about that on gardenweb. I've never been the Home Depot in Philadelphia. I wonder if they are selling any in NJ. I'm surprised they actually got them in! I just picked up a new Needle Palm at a local nursery a few weeks ago.