My Survivors

Citrus, Ferns, Hostas, Discuss other plants that don't fit in any other category.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Alchris

My Survivors

Post by Alchris » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:11 pm

Here are the pictures of the out of zone plants that survived the winter.

Rhododendron PMA Tiegerstedt with 2 of my butterfly bushes that are still under snow behind it.

Rhododendron Haaga with the remains of my Fargesia murielaei behind it. The -13 C cold spell wiped out the remaining green leaves and everything looks dead. Hopefully the roots survived.

Yucca flaccida Garland Gold

I didn't bother taking a pic of the dead looking wisteria.

Allen

You don't have to be crazy to grow palms in Alberta..... But it helps

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:08 pm

Hey Allen, glad you got some pics up.

That first pic, the rhodo, looks like it made it, mine always droops its leaves when it's exposed to cold winds.
And that buddleia sticking out of the snow is FINE (trust me!), but remember when it gets warm (not before), say around 1st week of April, prune ALL of the buddleia to within an inch of the ground (maybe even the 2nd week of April...remember the canes when cut are hollow and cold then goes right down to the roots, so it's good to wait another week).

And once you start watering and fertilizing, you'll be beatin the beggar's branches off you when you mow the lawn! They grow like mad. Remember too that they only bloom on new wood, so don't leave any branches "up".

Second pic...I wouldn't write it off yet either. The leaves don't look crunchy.

Third pic...the yucca looks a little flattened by snowload, but only part of the spear shows some damage. Bet there's life down inside.

My vote: they'll all make it, Allen! :lol: :D

And if you wanna see a dead looking wisteria (remember like the buddleia they all look dead in March, and April!)
I won't get a pruning award for this thingy. It's trained around a painted steel post set into concrete. The brownish vine climbing on the rock wall is Virginia Creeper (not wisteria, ha ha).
Barb