Can I water it now?

For cold hardy palm tree enthusiasts.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Can I water it now?

Post by lucky1 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:37 am

My 30-year old fortunei has only been outside in its pot (on top of 1" styrofoam) for a month or so.
Hasn't been watered since Oct.
I think it needs water. Our days are milder +4 to +10, and nights -1 to +2. What do you think?

oppalm
Small Palm

Post by oppalm » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:03 pm

stick your finger in the dirt down several inches, if its dry I'd water sparingly. no need to soak it, but don't let it dry out either.
Kent in Kansas
where it's cold in winter (always)
and hot in summer (usually)
<object width="290" height="130"><param name="movie" value="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_min ... sh&lang=EN" /><embed src="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_min ... sh&lang=EN" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="290" height="130" /></object>

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:23 pm

Dry as a bone, it was like pushing my finger into cement that's almost set! Ouch!
So it got a pail of water.
I think I heard it say "thanks" :lol:
There are 2 spears on their way up (for the last couple of months) that'll likely appreciate the water, too.

Barrie

Wow!

Post by Barrie » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:25 pm

"Hasn't been watered since Oct" wow! I know things are different here cause ours are doused from Oct to March in the seasonal rains on the west coast. I'd water that palm but good! Is that palm still wearing the poncho?

Cheers, Barrie.

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:48 pm

Until this year I had always kept it inside the cold (barely-heated) building all winter where all my plants spend winter.
The low temps made watering almost unnecessary, even up against the south windows.
Since I started keeping all my plants in that building, my 30-year old jade has bloomed like mad. They never did well in the house, too warm and dry with a woodstove, I suppose.

Yours get doused all winter? I thought you folks had said to keep rain off the spears in the winter :?

I took the poncho off, here it is naked again.
The soil had pulled away from the pot, so I gave it two more buckets of water when I was taking these pics.

It's 12 C now...fabulous.

Oh, another thing.
Had to go to Home Depot today... :wink: but didn't buy anything as there's nothing new from the last time.
What I did notice, though, was that there were a LOT of plants, palms included, whose tag said TROPICAL FOLIAGE.
No names, nothin'...are nurseries getting lazy?

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:57 pm

What I did notice, though, was that there were a LOT of plants, palms included, whose tag said TROPICAL FOLIAGE.
Welcome to the world of Home Depot / Lowes / Walmart.... I just got back from Lowes, they have a 12 Ft Foxtail palm in a 7 gal container with the same TROPICAL FOLIAGE tag & a $96 price tag...

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:04 pm

Jeez, a Foxtail...kinda pricey (glad I didn't see it at MY store, ha ha).

So what do nurseries do? As they start loading trucks with orders, they say "this truck's going to Wal Mart (or Lowes, or Home Depot), so pull all the names"? I can't imagine these same "no name" tags arrive at resale nurseries that way...

I can see NOT naming all those little 2.5" pots with various "thingies" in them...you know, like Stonecrop, akebia, pteris, etc., BUT a palm unnamed? That's sinful...

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:10 pm

Nurseries have the palms divided into sections & know what they are selling. It's the store that gets the plants in & tags them with that label. When I was in high school I worked at a Lowes. We had the tags ready back at the receiving dock. We would unload the trucks & snap tag many plants with the same tropical tags...

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:13 pm

I didn't know resale nurseries did their own labelling...interesting. Thanks.

When I was in high school I worked at a Lowes just a few years ago, huh? :lol:

oppalm
Small Palm

Post by oppalm » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:17 am

i remember high school - it was just 25 years ago. I worked at KMart in the garden shop and developed a fascination with plants and trees. Had a great manager , named "Big Jim", that cared for all plants like they were his grandchildren.

Home Depot, Lowes and Walmart does the same thing here in Kansas City, tropical foliage is a generic tag for almost every plant on the floor. Most of the employees working in the garden centers don't know a marigold from a pear tree, so don't count on them for information.

Sorry about the rant - as I get older I get angrier.
Kent in Kansas
<object width="290" height="130"><param name="movie" value="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_min ... sh&lang=EN" /><embed src="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_min ... sh&lang=EN" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="290" height="130" /></object>

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:12 am

You are a youngster :lol: my high school days were almost 40 years ago.
People who had a Big Jim in their early working years were very fortunate, and they would've passed on not only their love of the topic and deep understanding, but also a strong work ethic (so lacking today).

don't know a marigold from a pear tree ha ha, that's about it. What a sorry state of affairs. Maybe the next generation (and the one in between us...of course) got picked up by aliens and had their brains sucked dry :lol: :lol: :lol:
It sure seems like it...from the girl at the McDonalds window (who's never learned the word "thank you") to the guy gluing a PVC joint in your leaking irrigation system, they're dumb as a sack o' hammers. And they don't care that you KNOW that (that's what really blows me away). You'd think they'd try to hide it... :roll:

I'm with you on the rant, feel better already.
Barb

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:03 pm

I wasn't going to post anything and try to take the high road.

Ah to hell with it.

My high school years are about 40 years ago like yours Barb.

I had to try to train them up until a few years ago. They actually are not stupid. They save themselves for the internet, bars and parties and just don't give a damn. I was surprised how smart they were when you gave them a week to perform or you would fire them. But as soon as you are out of sight their attitudes go to hell again. You could fire them by the hundreds but their replacements would be just as bad.

Allen
You don't have to be crazy to grow palms in Alberta..... But it helps

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:15 pm

Yup, Allen, they've majored in "deviousness/laziness". And just think...won't be long until THEY'RE making decisions governing US in our "older" age. :(

Getting back to topic :D that's why we're happy now! Coz we're spending quality time growing palms.

Thanks for rant sharing.
Barb

Wes North Van

lucky

Post by Wes North Van » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:18 pm

Trachycarpus fortunei love the winter rains. Perhaps this is why they are so successful here in the lower mainland. We do not protect them from the rains. These palms need lots of water but they do not like sitting in water so the soil must drain well.
Wes North Vancouver Zone 8b/9a
Keats Island BC Zone 8a
Palm Springs CA Zone 9b/10a

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:12 am

I had wondered how these palms would do so well in Vancouver...if the spears had to be protected from winter rains/freezing. Guess I read things wrong.
Some folks have such elaborate "houses" around theirs, though, for winter protection, they wouldn't get any rain on them.

Anyway I soaked mine yesterday until water ran out the bottom, and then a final bucket with added fertilizer.

No wonder those two "new" spears have been just "sitting there" since October!
Thanks for the tip to water in the winter!

Barrie

Plant 'em and leave 'em.

Post by Barrie » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:01 pm

Hi lucky1 ... ya these Trachycarpus are a "plant 'em and leave 'em" type palm here. The old tall palms (30'+) would never be afforded the luxury of a rain canopy. Those cold regions would however need the "houses" or enclosures you mentioned.

Cheers, Barrie.

oppalm
Small Palm

Post by oppalm » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:34 pm

I have protected my T Fortunei all winter and plan on keeping a plastic hut over the top when the rains fall this spring, unless you folks can talk me out of it. It is just 2 years old, maybe 18" tall / no trunk and I think its planted a little low. My plan was to dig it up in April 2007 and plant it about 6" higher. My thought being that as low as its planted the water will pool around the stem and I don't think thats a good thing. Your thoughts?
Kent in Kansas

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:19 pm

oppalm, even though your idea protects the spears from rain, wouldn't water from the surrounding area still drain toward the roots if they're planted too low?

barrie...got it finally (doesn't take me long...only about 2,000 questions).
Yup it would be pretty tough to cover a 30 foot specimen, but a great photo opp!

So (to recap) those of us in areas where hell actually freezes over should NOT water it in winter, likely because of damage freezing/thawing, etc.

So those of you (lucky beggars) near the 49th/coastal areas can grow 30 footers without even looking at them in the winter?

Life isn't fair.

Barrie

A few pics

Post by Barrie » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:22 pm

lucky1 ... here's a few pics of some taller ones around the region, and you guessed it, no rain canopy.
Cheers, Barrie.

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:50 pm

Barrie, those are stupendous...from the Island???
I've also seen great palm pics from your place...

To think I left Vancouver 30 years ago (what was I thinking :cry: )
Oh yea now I remember...the 2 hours to work, and the 2 hours to home each day, didn't get out of second gear for 11 years!

Now that I live in the Okanagan with its breath-sucking dry summers (we've got wild cactus on our property), and bone crackin' northwest winter winds, I want to seriously grow palms. Nuts, I guess. :?

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:56 pm

lucky1 ... here's how the pics show in the previous post.
#1. Gorge Point Pub (Victoria)
#2. South Nanaimo
#3. Seattle
#4. Nanaimo
#5 & #6. Vancouver

Maybe west rather than east should have been your direction to get away from the city commute. Island life is great!
Cheers, Barrie.

nucci60
Sprout

Post by nucci60 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:12 am

i have been following our great new weather scroll all winter on this site. I ss now how Vancouver can grow these wonderfull trachys. They may not have the best all around weather all tear, but those warm winter temps are great. The prolonged cold we had in the eastern Canada and new england areas make me dought we will ever be successful with this palm long term. We keep trying, though. :oops:

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

Palm pics

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:06 am

Great pics I`ve seen a couple of those before me thinks. I always bring some photos of the palms along English Bay Vancouver when I go south in the winter or people would think I was less than sane (some already do) :lol: I am always amazed at their first reaction ,rolling of the eyes ect. The inevitable next statement is I never knew palm trees grew in CANADA. Well we would never group the whole United States without asking what state they were from. I explain about beautiful British Columbia and how are climate differs from most of the rest of Canada. I still keep in contact with a few that have made the trip up to B.C. . Guess I`m just proud of where we live. Thanks for sharing those pics.
John
Okanagan Palms and Tropicals
6b-7a

oppalm
Small Palm

Post by oppalm » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:49 pm

lucky1 - the plastic tent over my Fortunei is big enough that the water is diverted away from the plant and far enough away that it drains away. I am still inclined to dig it up and plant a little higher just so I don't have to worry about the sometimes cold spring rains damaging or drowning the plant.
Kent in Kansas