Yucca elephantipes test

Cold hardy desert plants etc.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

macario
Seedling

Yucca elephantipes test

Post by macario » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:40 pm

Hello everyone. I have had these Yucca elephantipes as an indoor plant for a while it started growing out of control and I was forced to do some trimming. I had so many heads I had cut off I decided to use them as and experiment in my yard. I know I live here in zone 6b the inner city. I am in a micro climate and my yard is even a better micro climate. It hasnt been below zero in my yard since I moved in thats about 8 years ago. I have areas in my yard, because of the complete southern exposure I get, stays very warm and never hold snow for any period of time. My question is about the yucca. what is its zone rating and whats the coldest temps it should take. I planted all the extra heads back in oct in areas I wanted to test. So far I have a few that died but in my other areas that get sun most of the day they have signs of growth and are still alive. I am wondering if I could remove those and plant something hardy in these spot or should I leave them and see how big they can get? I am trying to figure out what I could grow in these spots thats unique. The bad thing about these spots is in the summer time these spot get into the 100 F mark and most trpicals I have tried putting in these spots for the summer get burned or dry up easily if I dont water ever day.

PALMETTOMAN
Seedling

yucca eleph.

Post by PALMETTOMAN » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:10 pm

Macario, I have several of these about 7-8 feet tall..Mine are hardy to about 32F but not for any prolonged period..maybe a day or two and thats it..I have had them for 5 years now and they are potted outside in my garden beds between around mid April to early November...They love full sun..Get them used to it....Since they are a yucca..they like it dry...The basement under grow lites has done the trick..lots of spray misting and minimal water..They are Zone 9...It'll be tough to grow them outside in our climate but what the heck...Maybe you can protect them like your palms...The secret is climatizing them..

Palmettoman z6-Ajax, On

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:18 am

"The secret is climatizing them.."
No amount of acclimatization will allow [/i]Yucca elephantipes to grow outside of zone 9. We see some in selected micro-climates around 8b zones but rarely and they're not long term.

Cheers, Barrie.

PALMETTOMAN
Seedling

Macario's Yucca/Eleph.

Post by PALMETTOMAN » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:29 pm

Barrie/Macario, I apologize if it seems i mislead you...

Barrie, you are correct. The Yucca/Elephantis is a Z9 plant and won't survive outside year round in our continental climate.

I have several of these and am proud to say that my Yucca Eleph. have been pushed through the Zonal Limit (7C-45F minimum temps) and have made it by low temps of around the freezing mark (outside) without any damage. They are 5 years new this spring and have been aclimatized to handle low temps as well as full direct sun....Of course they are potted and spend mid April to early November outside.

What I meant to say regarding aclimatizing is that since Macario has quite an elaborate protection system for his palms, perhaps he may want to try the same thing with his Yucca/Eleph.

Thats what it's all about here in the Zombie Zone..pushing the limit..within reason...

Macario, if you gradually get your Yucca/Eleph. feet cool, it may be worth a shot down the road after they get used to the minimum's to give it a try?

By the sounds of it you have a nice micro climate there in Chicago and a nice protection method...

Palmettoman z6-Ajax, On

macario
Seedling

yucca

Post by macario » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:41 pm

Oh your right im not expecting them to live at all. I was supprised to fine a few short ones still alive but very damaged. I am trying to decide what other yucca to try like faxoniana and some others. I have thompsoniana and rostrata and aloifolia. I was worried that the yucca I have would not make it but I have a little more confidence now. Come spring I have decided to make a xeriscape in my front yard.

PALMETTOMAN
Seedling

xeriscape

Post by PALMETTOMAN » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:23 pm

Macario, Josef from Czech. has done some nice work on his xeriscape. I like the way the various Yucca's are planted with all the stones to trap the heat...What a great idea if you have the room...

Palmettoman z6-Ajax, On

PS: How are your palms holding up in your tent?

macario
Seedling

yucca

Post by macario » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:25 pm

I love this cold frame green house. I Have not needed any heat so far only a few halogen lights do the trick. All my palms including my butia are doing great. I have found that dryness is the key. I have some trachys out in the open and they are suffering leaf damage. The ones in the enclosure have NO damage at all. I am gonna take some of josef ideas and put them to good use. I am lucky it is very dry all the time here except spring it rains. That should help and I was thinking of raising the area also. I will use my front yard I have a large area to work with.