Cold hardy landscaping ideas/examples?

For cold hardy palm tree enthusiasts.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

kspalmguy
Seedling

Cold hardy landscaping ideas/examples?

Post by kspalmguy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:52 pm

Hello all:)) I searched the forums, but haven't found any real examples of how to landscape with cold hardy palms...I am looking for a way to landscape in zone 6B/7A using my windmills, Sabal minors and a Pindo or two...if anyone has any ideas or photos, please share them. Thanks!! :)

905palms
Seedling

Post by 905palms » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:27 pm

Cold hardy palms are best sited with your existing indigenous plants already in place. Having accents and splashes of tropicals are the best. Keep in mind, less is more with different elevations.

Use Google Maps and explore some streets in areas that have these plants. This will give you ideas on what is relevant to your property in climate, either wet or dry.

Quick shot of my backyard in Canada

teebee
Seedling

Post by teebee » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:46 pm

KS,

This is my backyard back in warmer times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9egUZziJn7o

But as 905 said look at native areas for your palms to get ideas. I've been contemplating a Southwestern themed front yard. I have been relying on Google images a bunch for ideas. I just started a buying spree a couple weeks back and just put and order in with Montreal palms today for some Agave and Yucca and have picked up several types of cacti. Perhaps I'll grab a couple photos of them this weekend.

kspalmguy
Seedling

Post by kspalmguy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:50 pm

Thanks for the replies! I am looking for a SE United States look with my gardens, similar to what one would see around New Orleans or Mobile...we already have crepe myrtles growing around the house, as well as honeysuckle...

chadec
Small Palm

Post by chadec » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:08 pm

You can always check out work done by pro's. There are a few here in NC I like to look at like Garys nursery and Cooper Payne tree farm. Both do a lot of tropical looking work.