Mould?

For cold hardy palm tree enthusiasts.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

anschluss
Seed

Mould?

Post by anschluss » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:21 am

The 7 gallon T fortunei I just got from Broadway Gardens is showing little white spots of 'talcum powder' on the fronds and stems. The tree has been sitting in the weather since yesterday morning. Any experience with this symptom?
Although I won't be planting it or the smaller needle palm I also purchased until spring I wanted to harden the trees up a bit at a time in anticipation.

Thanks!
Todd

anschluss
Seed

Post by anschluss » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:26 pm

Just got an email from Tony at Broadway Gardens. It would seem my Trachy has mealybugs and some scale. If not too bad he suggests picking them off individually or in his case they use Safers End-All.

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

Rubbing alcohol

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:26 pm

Mealy bugs sounds like to me.I use 10 parts water 1 part rubbing alcohol in a hand sprayer. You can also use full strength rubbing alcohol with q tips to take them off individually. They like to hide in emerging spears before they unfurl and leaf stems at the base of the trunk. You will need to totally eradicate them or they will be back. Good luck.
John
Okanagan Palms and Tropicals
6b-7a

anschluss
Seed

Post by anschluss » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:57 am

Thanks Okanagan for the confirmation. I started to dab some of the spots with an alcohol-soaked Q-Tip but was concerned about missing some. These sweethearts lay between over three hundred eggs at a time. I bought Safers End-All to do a little chemical carpet bombing. OK boys, I'm goin' in! :twisted: