Summer progress

For cold hardy palm tree enthusiasts.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

nlafrance3
Sprout

Summer progress

Post by nlafrance3 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:34 pm

Hey everyone,

Its been awhile since ive posted on here and I thought I would share my summer progress of my palm trees here in edmonton,ab:

http://community.webshots.com/user/nlafrance3

Starting with my windmill palm. As you can see from the pictures, when I received the palm it was battered and bruised but since then 've been nursing it back to health it has grown 2 beautiful new fans and another two are soon to arrive. Its trunk has also seemed to increase in girth. It seems to be very happy with our weather. There has been many hot days but enough rainy ones to cool it down.

The jelly palm is definately a slow grower. It has only grown two new palms since I got it but it looks very healthy.

My washy fil. is growing like mad. I think I've had it for a month now and its grown the big middle palm and is working on another. Thanks to Allen for letting me buy this and the sabal minor off him. They're both doing great. The Sabal is in the same cup as the foxtail lily and its growing slow but steady. It was only one very short little palm when I got it and you can see its grown since then.

All my palms are spending this winter indoors and maybe the trachy will get a try at winter with protection next year in the ground.

Nate

Jay-Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jay-Admin » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:50 pm

Looking good Nate. :)

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:21 am

They are really doing good.

Allen
You don't have to be crazy to grow palms in Alberta..... But it helps

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:51 am

Your Fili looks good. But mine are not growing at all. They are living, they are nice and green and are not browning. But they are very slow to put on new leaves and they are not growing taller.
I have Robusta and Filibusta that are growing great!!! But after seeing KNNN's Filis and Alchris's, I have to say mine are babies. But they have benn slow. My Filibusta are a month or more younger, and they are twice the size.
The guy I got seed from told me they might be bad. So maybe it is the seed???? If so, does anybody have free Fili seed they want to get rid of? I can send SASE.

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

Very nice

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:34 pm

Nate you are doing something right ,they all look great!
John
Okanagan Palms and Tropicals
6b-7a