christmas lights only?

For cold hardy palm tree enthusiasts.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

nucci60
Sprout

christmas lights only?

Post by nucci60 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:02 am

:? Hi, the newbie from massachusetts again. Just wondering, hasn't the plant hobby come up with some thing better than light bulbs to warm plants? are there any heating cables that would work better. they have cables that will defrost gutters, maybe somethinglike that,but not as hot, that would not burn the palm. anyone use anything other than light bulbs?

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:12 am

They sell 'heat tapes' to keep water lines from freezing on mobile homes. These cables are thermostaticly controled for only a few degrees above freezing. To avoid any possibility of burning the palm you could wrap the heat tape around the inside of your palm's winter 'house'.

Farm supply stores also sell an electrical warming device to keep livestock water bowls from freezing.

I don't know if either of these will work, but check into them. I also am new to this and have started by germinating seeds. I have not gone beyond thinking about winter protection as yet. It seems strange that no one would have developed a way of keeping tender plants alive through winter. Most people just think you and I are crazy. :twisted:

If you find something let us know.

Allen
You don't have to be crazy to grow palms in Alberta..... But it helps

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:12 am

They sell 'heat tapes' to keep water lines from freezing on mobile homes. These cables are thermostaticly controled for only a few degrees above freezing. To avoid any possibility of burning the palm you could wrap the heat tape around the inside of your palm's winter 'house'.

Farm supply stores also sell an electrical warming device to keep livestock water bowls from freezing.

I don't know if either of these will work, but check into them. I also am new to this and have started by germinating seeds. I have not gone beyond thinking about winter protection as yet. It seems strange that no one would have developed a way of keeping tender plants alive through winter. Most people just think you and I are crazy. :twisted:

Allen

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:15 am

Allen

nucci60
Sprout

Post by nucci60 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:22 am

:P thanks for the info! I have got a few nice plants off ebay . 1 gallon to 3 gallon. got a trachy, trachy waggie, and needle palm. getting too old to wait years for seeds.

Knnn
Clumping Palm

Couple more Ideas...

Post by Knnn » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:42 pm

I've often thought about the engine block heaters they used to sell that went in place of the dipstick, Maybe a couple of those in the ground around the plant.
(Might be worth experimenting with but definately need to monitor soil temp.)

Have used defrost thermostats ,( ruthlessly hacked out of the old fridge) to control x-mas lights.
These are a small, waterproof, bi-metal thermostat that will (for ex.) close it's contacts at 40f and open at 70F.
These vary in temp. differentials but can be attached directly to the plant, covering, etc. Your local used appliance/repair center should have a box of these to pick from.

nucci60
Sprout

Post by nucci60 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:09 am

:bounce: Thanks for the info! I was reading "Palms won't grow here" andDavid suggested the cable that is used to protect water pipes. He says they are available with a thermostat that is set at about 38 degrees F. I have not looked into these yet at the home centers. We have lots of time, because it is still July.