I'm SO Excited

For cold hardy palm tree enthusiasts.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Kansas

I'm SO Excited

Post by Kansas » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:22 pm

I got those seeds from a friend in Lake City (West of Jacksonville, Florida) and he sent me around 30-40 seeds of two trees.
Problem is, he doesn't know what they are.
He did include a picture of the tree they came from so if you can, I can probably scan a copy of the pic and e-mail it to you.
But one is I THINK a Sabal. Isn't there a Sabal that grows a pretty good trunk? This trunk is a good 8' tall with what sure looks to me like Sabal fronds. Also, the seed was in a tight shell that was the size of a popcorn seed and when I took the outer shell off, it looked like a popcorn seed. But some seeds broke in half as I seperated them from the shell into two perfect smooth sides. The all had a pinkish red dot where they used to meet the tree.
The other ones, I peeled the old "fruit" off which was very "woody". The tree looks like a Date palm, but the seeds did not have that groove in them that other Phoenix do. Do all Date palm seeds have the groove?
Lemme know if i need to scan (which will take a while) or if you think you know what they are.

Estiva
Sprout

Post by Estiva » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:40 am

Kansas-

The sabal is most likely a Sabal Palmetto, the state tree of both Florida and South Carolina. They are ubiquitous in Florida, and get fairly tall, up to about 60 feet.

The other might be a Butia Capitata, or jelly palm. These are also very common in Florida, and are one of, if not the most cold-hardy pinnate (feathered-leaf) palms.

The jelly palm has a fleshy orangeish (when ripe) outer skin that is edible and sweet. Underneath, the "pit" is a woody-fiborus seed.

I picked up some fresh seed of Butia in December of 2004, immediately palnted them, and they have still not germninated.

The sabal should germinate in 1-2 months with a high success rate.

Good luck.
SE Wisconsin z5b

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:01 pm

Great. I got a call from the lady that sent them and she said she put one of the possble Sabal seeds in a glass with water to soak, forgot about it, and now about one week later she has roots. It looks exactly like a sabal minor seed but no black spot on the top.