(Pictures) of my Trachy's taken mid Sept 08.

Palm Tree and Exotic plants Photo Gallery

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Windmill Palm guy
Sprout

(Pictures) of my Trachy's taken mid Sept 08.

Post by Windmill Palm guy » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:12 pm

Here are some pictures of my Trachy's, I hope they come out ok.

Loves his Trachy's!

Windmill Palm guy
Sprout

Post by Windmill Palm guy » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:19 pm

Sorry for posting a new message I'am kinda new to this. This is my 5 footer I had to cut a lot of the leaves back due to a pecdiside issue in late Aug but its put out amazing growth since them I can't belive how fast these grow!

Loves his Trachy's!

Windmill Palm guy
Sprout

Post by Windmill Palm guy » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:32 pm

Here are some more of my 5 footer along with my smaller one. How do they look heath wise anything I should be doing differently?

Enjoy! :D
Loves his Trachy's!

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:11 pm

windmill,
enjoyed seeing your pics, thanks for posting them.

Pesticide issues? That's a beautiful big trachy, looks like it grew fairly quickly to have such an even trunk diameter.
How long has it been in the ground?
Short petioles could indicate it's recovering, or waiting for fertilizer/trace elements (too late end of September).

My Trachy doesn't like tons of water (and really hates windstorms).
Is yours watered with a sprinkler system that does the lawn?

Nice smaller Trachy too, looks to be about a 15 gallon pot?
While it's still warmish, it should go in the ground and settle in before cold weather hits.

Hope you'll post some winter-protection structure pics when you erect them.

The only thing you're missing, windmill, is about another 15 palms/cycads :lol: :lol: :lol:
Barb

Windmill Palm guy
Sprout

Post by Windmill Palm guy » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:46 pm

Barb,
I'am glad you liked the pictures, to be totaly honest I'am not to sure what size of pot that is but I can tell you that it's already out grow it! I can see the roots trying to come out of the drian holes at the bottem of the pot, so next spring I will most likely re-pot it into something close to double that size then once it out grows that it will be in the ground. At the rate it's growing that will most likly be this time next year.

The pesticide was all my fault I'am the one to blame :roll: What I did was I used a copper based fungicide on it but I forgot to water it down!! Luckily it didn't kill it, but ever since it's been doing great! I just planted it this past April 1st and I do plan on building protection for it (Will post pictures) As far as watering they love it! I watered them almost every 3 days (Mid summer) seems that they can't get enough of it! I know a lot of people say they hate wet feet but mine love it!

I fertilized both of them with palm tree fertilizer spikes, along with mycorrhizal fungi and I added a lot of epsom salts too. :D :D
Loves his Trachy's!

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:16 pm

Windmill, if you already see the roots coming out of the bottom, it'd be a good idea to put it into a 20 gallon pot now.
Next spring is too long for it to wait for soil around those roots. The risk with potting into containers DOUBLE the current size is that soil that has no roots in it tends to stay wet too long (I've recently done it myself), and can lead to root rot.
Is the potted one going to overwinter in the garage?

You obviously have good drainage despite your flat ground.
I water my big Trachy once a week and it's in a big garbage can :lol:

They obviously liked the fertilizer, micorrhizae, and epsom salts (whoa, not too much of epsom...a couple of tbsp in a 5 gallon bucket goes a long way).

It'll be great to see your winter protection pics.
That'll be interesting, as that palm is fairly tall.
Let's hope winter's a long way off.

BTW, great views!
Barb

Windmill Palm guy
Sprout

Post by Windmill Palm guy » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:27 pm

Barb,
I would love to re pot it into something a little bigger but It's so hard to find plastic pots that are bigger then the one you see in the picture. Do you know of any online stores that sell pots?

Thanks for the information about the pot size I appreciate that :D I usually put my small one in the sun room for the winter, but I think I'am going to bring it inside the house only because I want it to keep growing over the winter and the heat from the house will aid in that. Also I heard it was a good idea to keep Trachy's outside as long as possible to help aid in hardiness??

How do they look to you heath wise?

Thanks
Scott.
Loves his Trachy's!

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:07 am

Hi windmill,
The fronds look healthy to me on both your Trachies.
The one in the ground should fill out nicely next year.

I've looked online for palm pots for ages.
Struck out as I didn't want thousands of them (wholesale offers).

My trachy is unceremoniously housed in this ugly garbage can, but it works for large plants.
As you know palms prefer tall narrow pots.

I also found the following orange and blue pots last winter at RONA (Lowe's might have them).

The next pic are 20 gallon pots, husband got them at an agricultural supply company. Check at farm retailers/wholesalers in your area. About $10.00 each, but no saucer.

My Trachy goes into a bright, cold (45 F) building for winter, with only 1 or 2 light waterings until end of March when it comes back outdoors.
In Fall, I leave it outside until temps approach freezing.
They like it cool and bright, a cool sunroom is preferred over a warm house.

BTW you won't be making it hardier if you're bringing it into a warm house for winter.

Will look forward to seeing your winter protection pics.
Barb

Arctic Palm
Seedling

Post by Arctic Palm » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:03 am

lucky1 is 100% correct. I had 2 trachys last year, I left one out in the cold and took one in...they one in the nice warm house died and the one planted outside is alive and well...I bought anouther and planted it to be left outside this winter!!!!

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:35 am

Hey arctic!
Have we seen a pic of your new one?
Barb

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:38 pm

Scott nice thick trunk on that planted Trachy. Could you show some pics of how it does throughout the winter. I would be interested to see the winter protection method you are using as I`m zone 6b and have to protect mine. Thanks for sharing those pics.

John
Okanagan Palms and Tropicals
6b-7a

Windmill Palm guy
Sprout

Post by Windmill Palm guy » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:29 pm

John,
I will be sure to post some pictures of my winter protection method. I have already constructed my shelter I'm just waiting for the cold weather to hit. :roll:

Should have them posted around December. John, do you have any pictures of your Trachy's that I could take a look at?
Loves his Trachy's!

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:09 pm

I will post some pics of my planted palms soon as I figure out my new camera.

John
6b-7a

Windmill Palm guy
Sprout

Post by Windmill Palm guy » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:48 pm

Okanagan,
Could could you give me an idea of how old my big one would be? I'am guessing 12 years old?
Loves his Trachy's!

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

9 years

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:33 pm

Scott I`ve only been at this palm "obsession" for 5 years so I`m going to take a somewhat educated guess at 9 years as they were grown here in the pacific northwest. From what I`ve experienced with my own Trachy`s potted and then planted you will get about 6" growth in a pot vs. about a 1 foot or more planted when they are an established Trachy . There are other members here that have much more experience than I do perhaps they can chime in and add their observations.

John
6b-7a

PALMETTOMAN
Seedling

dundas windmill palms

Post by PALMETTOMAN » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:42 pm

nice lookin trachy indmill guy.....can't wait to see your protection...i'll post my 2 in ground windmills as soon as I take some recent pics...

as for fertilizer, i'd try Car Poole....

Palmettoman Z6-Ajax, On