My new Adonidia needs some TLC, any advice?

Discuss palms you grow inside.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Arctic Palm
Seedling

My new Adonidia needs some TLC, any advice?

Post by Arctic Palm » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:04 pm

Hello all,

This is the large christmas palm I got for really cheap. I got it cheap cause it was in the back of a greenhouse and neglected. I was wondering if you cold take a look and give me some suggestions (fert, water, anything)...
It was in a 12" pot and the roots were very packed in. The soil was dust dry. So it had no water for god knows how long.
Anything would help...
Thanks

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:37 am

Arctic was it in full sun when at the nursery? If not looks like leaf burn going on. I would add micro nutrients in a liqiud form as the spikes may not work fast enough.I use a product called "Growtek micro 3 0 2" gives the stressed palm everything it needs fast. If it is rootbound ,transplant it to get it going again. Check the roots for signs of rot. Hope this helps.
Okanagan Palms and Tropicals
6b-7a

Arctic Palm
Seedling

Post by Arctic Palm » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:54 am

It was in a corner of a greenhouse. There was sun but it was under one of those shade things. Like I said, the pot it was in was very very tiny for a tree this size. Also the dirty was dry as a bone. I had not been watered in a long time. I crushed up a palm spike and sprinkled it around the base and I have been watering every other day. I also added some desolved Epsom salts to the mix.

Where do I get this growtek?

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:39 pm

Arctic you can buy Growtek at any hydrophonic growing supply store. If that palm was under any shade cloth it is not used to full sun. I`ve made that mistake before and burnt all the fronds of a pygmy date palm. That tree spike is meant to be realesed slowly over months into to soil by crushing it you may have given your palm to much to soon. Just my two cents.
6b-7a

Arctic Palm
Seedling

Post by Arctic Palm » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:29 pm

I see. Hmmm...so this growtek is the way to go gor fast results?? Another question. I have a washingtonia robusta. It has been growing fine. I am noticing the older fronds are begining to yellow around the tips and inwards. Is this from over watering? Or do you think its the older ones dying? The new ones have no yellowing except the very tip.

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

INFO Palms

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:34 pm

Your W.robusta is fine because every new frond should shed an older one much later than sooner. The tips browning will tell you the plant needs certain nutrients. Here is a couple of sites I found very helpfull. I have been growing palms and bananas for near three years and have learned alot from sites like these and other people that have been growing palms and other plants longer than me.

http://www.floridaplants.com/horticulture/palm.htm
http://www.junglemusic.net/palmadvise/index.htm
6b-7a