Question about tying up the fans of a palm

Discuss greenhouse related topics and outside weather protection methods.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Arctic Palm
Seedling

Question about tying up the fans of a palm

Post by Arctic Palm » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:34 pm

I got a small greenhouse for my trachy. Is it ok to loosely tie up the fans. This way they are not touching any of the sides?????

Here are the pics..what do the experts think?? Any suggestions?? The last stem is whats left of my Musa Basjoo...lol

oppalm
Small Palm

Post by oppalm » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:30 pm

that little palm hut looks nice. I kept looking through the pictures for a playboy bunny but never saw one. Is your wife a bunny? LOL. Are you going to try to heat it at all or just experiment with it. I can tell you from experience those little huts heat up fast in the sun. and then cool down fast when there is no sun. good luck.
Kent in Kansas
where it's cold in winter (always)
and hot in summer (usually)
<object width="290" height="130"><param name="movie" value="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_min ... sh&lang=EN" /><embed src="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_min ... sh&lang=EN" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="290" height="130" /></object>

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:35 am

Nothing wrong with tying up or using a bungee cord to gather the fronds. It's a space saver for such an endeavor. I do have issues with it being anchored properly to withstand wind. As it is now, it has the look of a box kite.

Cheers, Barrie.

P.S. never saw a Playboy mini-greenhouse before! :lol:

Arctic Palm
Seedling

Post by Arctic Palm » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:30 am

I only plan on using a flood light to heat it...and only during the night and coldest days. If what everyone says about Trachys is true then it should not need much in the way of heat. We'll see I guess.....

Arctic Palm
Seedling

Post by Arctic Palm » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:57 am

Hey Barrie,

I have 7 inch hook spikes holding the frame in place and I am going to fashion some kind of hurricane strap over the top. That should hold...We don't get too much wind and its sheltered by the house. But I am sure that if the wind got under it a kite it would become....

PALMETTOMAN
Seedling

palm protection

Post by PALMETTOMAN » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:04 pm

Arctic palm..I don't see any problems in tying up your windmill palm...

My concern with your palm house would be lots of heavy wet snow and ice..then dropping temps...then freeze over..

I suggest you keep a small ceramic heater on hand..

Remember to vent it during the day when the sun shines..

I will post my windmill palm structure's soon (glass/plexi/plastic)...It's built but I'm waiting as long as I can to cover them off since temps climb by this weekend. Minimum low has only been -2C so far...

Good luck..

Palmettoman Z6-Ajax, On

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:52 pm

PALMETTOMAN ... I guess the warm weather (28c-32c) you've had is over? I was hoping you'd have been able to sail into next spring with some mild temps and your palms would be living "viva da loca"!

Cheers, Barrie.

PALMETTOMAN
Seedling

palm weather

Post by PALMETTOMAN » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:01 pm

Barrie--Yes..the warm weather is now officially gonzo! It was a real bonus while it lasted...but all good things have to come to an end...

Right now it's more like early December..as long as it doesn't snow..I'm good...

Despite the cooler temps..my windmills are still pushing out new growth and looking good! They def. like cooler temps...

How's your euchy's??

Palmettoman Z6-Ajax, On

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:35 pm

arctic, check with the pros here, but my guess is that flood light is too close to the fronds.
Some people keep the ground warmish with lights, heat naturally rises.

Barb

PALMETTOMAN
Seedling

palmhouse-

Post by PALMETTOMAN » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:25 am

Arctic palm..I would agree with Barb..Keep the light away from the fronds or you'll burn them...

I'll use the flood lights as well on my hardy palms but point them toward the ground and away from the fronds..

You may want to put some stones around the base of you palm to prevent rodents digging down...

I'll post one of my structures soon...At this point in time it is to early to enclose my palms...I will wait till temps drop below -5C or cooler or if we get significant windchills..(that doesn't normally happen until late Nov or early December)...

Hope this helps...

Palmettoman Z6-Ajax, On

Arctic Palm
Seedling

Post by Arctic Palm » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:36 am

It does help...So your saying I should uncover my palm for now cause it's still too warm??

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:38 am

How's your euchy's??

I thought I'd wander around my yard and snap a few Eucalytus pics so you can see for yourself. If I'd have waited another 15 minutes, all the pics would have been in the sunshine.

Cheers, Barrie.

Arctic Palm
Seedling

Post by Arctic Palm » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:13 pm

Nice pics and nice yard...looks like fall has not yet set in there...it has here. The 20's are long gone now. We have seen some wet snow already.

PALMETTOMAN
Seedling

arctics windmill palms

Post by PALMETTOMAN » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:14 pm

Hey arctic palm..

Well with night time lows still above 0C...your windmill palm will do just fine...

None of mine are covered up...the short blast of cool temps has not fazed these palms at all..

The problem in covering it up now is that we are supposed to get some sunny mild temps next week and that palm house of yours is going to heat up...

We are in Z6 here and despite the see/saw temps, I think your going to be okay until we hit consecutive lows of -5C or lower (usually the end of November or early December)...

You'll need to watch the temps as we head towards December...

I hope this helps...

Barrie---I'm Looking 4ward to your euchy pics!

PalmettomanZ6-Ajax, On

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:44 pm

Arctic palm "looks like fall has not yet set in there"

Autumn certainly has set in with unsettled weather and much cooler temps. Today did seem spring-like with mild temps and calm breezes. We max'd out at 17c (64f) during the afternoon peak under sunny skies.

PALMETTOMAN

My Euc pics are posted above.

Cheers, Barrie.

PALMETTOMAN
Seedling

la palmas norte euchy pics

Post by PALMETTOMAN » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:06 pm

Very impressive trees Barrie..

Question's...wWat is the oldest of your euchy trees?

Are they scented?

Are they very resistant to bugs?

Palmettoman Z6-Ajax, On

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:18 am

The oldest Eucs are about 8 years old, and one is about 50' tall. One year it put on 12' of height, but it's seemed to have slowed down this year.

All of the Eucs are scented but most noticeable when the leaf is cruched or rubbed between your fingers. Each species has a different scent and oil content. The most aromatic I have, in my opinion would be Eucalyptus pulverulenta. This seems to be the only one that has insects (mealy bug) during part of the summer. They don't damage it but the tree is a host for them.

Cheers, Barrie.

Arctic Palm
Seedling

Post by Arctic Palm » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:52 am

PALMETTOMAN

The trachy's enclosure opens right up very easy..just a zipper. I will be opening it right up during the upcoming warm spell. I am more concerned with frozen moisture getting into the crown than cold temps...We have had several frosts here now and no ill effects. The very tips are a little brown/yellow but just the very tips. Maybe 1/4 inch of tip.
I am curious to see just how cold the palm can take. It's a regular Trachy F. so we'll see.
Do you think we will have a harsh winter around here this year? Last winter was great till January. I just checked the 15 day on a U.S weather web page that I have found to be very accurate and it's saying we are looking at a warm up after the end of next week...SWEET (warm as in 10 degrees..don't get too excited)
We should all get together and buy a house in the tropics and each use it during the winter..lol

PALMETTOMAN
Seedling

palm protection/euchy tree's

Post by PALMETTOMAN » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:27 pm

Arctic palm..Well..we always hope were going to have a mild winter but then reality eventually sets in....right??

The tell tale here in our climate zone is, if we can get through early Jan till early March we should be okay...Those seem to be the toughest months (weather wise).

None of my trachy palms/euro's or butia's are covered off yet..(lowest temp was 28F)...

I did construct a 10X10 greenhouse in my garage for the tender hardies...

As for your enclosure...You'll have to vent that and make sure the temps don't drop drastically below freezing @ night in order to protect the crown from freezing...I would suggest a small heater and a thermometer...

If your interested in euchalyptus (like Barrie has growing in coastal BC), I have grown a 10 foot euchalyptus tree from a small 8 inch annual about 4 years ago. It is potted and it is somewhat hardy to a few degrees below freezing...

They are an awesome tree...and easy to grow...

I'll post some "late fall pics from Z6" this week...

Palmettoman Z6-Ajax, On

Arctic Palm
Seedling

Post by Arctic Palm » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:29 pm

I have taken the enclosure down due to our mild temps right now. As far as heating it goes, I have a flood light in the enclosure and the trunk has rope lights wrapped around it incase it gets real cold. I think it will do fine. If they are as hardy as everyone says then as long as I keep the crown dry and warm and the fans protected then it should be fine...I have 2 bigger Trachys, this one is my "test" palm.
I guess we'll see.

Thanks

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:32 pm

Sounds like you're keeping a close eye on it, arctic.
Barb