Cold hardy palm info?

For cold hardy palm tree enthusiasts.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Bgreen
Sprout

Cold hardy palm info?

Post by Bgreen » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:55 pm

Has anyone tried, or have info on Trachycarpus nanus, Trachycarpus takil, and Trachycarpus wagnerianus?
I am looking to ad a few more palms to my yard. I don't care about covering them up once it gets below zero,
but I am getting tired of having to dig up most of my yard every fall and spring.

Thanks,

Benjamin Green

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:17 pm

Hopefully "Tropicman" will post as he knows of two places in Wichita that have in ground Trachies.
I would LOVE to see you try and then report your findings here as I would like to do the same in a year or two after practicing with Sabal Minor & Hystrix.

turtile
Seedling

Post by turtile » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:35 pm

I planted Wagnerianus and Takil here in Zone 7. It will be their first winter this year. I'll let you know how they turn out.

T. Nanus hardiness isn't known so far. It could be hardier than Fortunei, the same, or more tender. I'm thinking about planting one but its hard to find one that is a nice size.

Wes North Van

Trachycarpus

Post by Wes North Van » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:42 pm

I find very little difference in hardiness between fortunei, nanus, wagnerainus and takil.

I have planted small seedlings of all of these and they have all survived the winters.
Wes North Vancouver Zone 8b/9a
Keats Island BC Zone 8a
Palm Springs CA Zone 9b/10a