Bamboo: Phyllostachys rubromarginata

Citrus, Ferns, Hostas, Discuss other plants that don't fit in any other category.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Bgreen
Sprout

Bamboo: Phyllostachys rubromarginata

Post by Bgreen » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:05 am

This was one of my projects earlier this year and thought some of you would enjoy some pics!

May 6, 2007

May 7, 2007 (4" of rain last night)

May 12, 2007
Added 2.6 tons of sandy loam, 18 cubic ft of compost, countless shovels of dirt :)

Thanks,

Benjamin Green

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:55 pm

That is quite the job. If that doesn't contain the bamboo nothing will.

Allen
You don't have to be crazy to grow palms in Alberta..... But it helps

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:15 am

GREAT JOB!!!!!! If I ever choose to plant out my "Yellow Groove", I'll call you. Don't forget, I do want to get with you later to see if you can lead me to those Rattlers.

Bgreen
Sprout

Post by Bgreen » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:47 am

Thanks guys!
This seems to be the year of the shovel for me.
Hopefully next year I will be able to enjoy everything a little more... mmmm probally not I will have more projects by then, lol.

Just give me a shout Kansas... The timbers are easy and close to find, but we had to road hut for the Massasauga.
Thanks,

Benjamin Green

Bgreen
Sprout

Post by Bgreen » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:13 am

Well I just like to keep on digging so here is my latest project.
I am happy it's on the down hill slide now!! You can see the wheelbarrel ramp in the bottom two pics.

The planter is 5' wide and 15' 6" long. Most of my potted plants now have a home! This area gets full sun to about 2:30pm. My canna musafolia should have great spot now! Next year I should be close to having all the hardscaping finished and finally start a fresh lawn. woo hoo!
Thanks,

Benjamin Green

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:57 pm

Would this time of year be good to spot the Timbers? I hear they sometimes come out in the evening up around you.

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:23 pm

That planter is quite the job. Can you post a pic when the plants are in. I understand the amount of work involved.

I have been working on a raised flower bed that is triangular and about 16' long and 3' wide at one end and 16' wide at the other. It has kept me busy working at it, but is almost finished. About 10 wheelbarrows of dirt to go and the last 8' of side to build.

Allen

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:24 pm

That planter is quite the job. Can you post a pic when the plants are in. I understand the amount of work involved.

I have been working on a raised flower bed that is triangular and about 16' long and 3' wide at one end and 16' wide at the other. It has kept me busy working at it, but is almost finished. About 10 wheelbarrows of dirt to go and the last 8' of side to build.

Allen

Bgreen
Sprout

Post by Bgreen » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:14 am

Kansas wrote:Would this time of year be good to spot the Timbers? I hear they sometimes come out in the evening up around you.
I don't see why not! Just have to watch it because they are all nice and warm. Move a little faster than May when we normally go out.

Here are a few pics of one we found:
http://benjgreen.homestead.com/Rattlesnakes.html
Thanks,

Benjamin Green

Bgreen
Sprout

Post by Bgreen » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:21 am

Alchris wrote:That planter is quite the job. Can you post a pic when the plants are in. I understand the amount of work involved.

Allen
I will post plenty of pics. Most of the plants I like I have to dig them back up in the fall.
I may add a few today, but not sure if it will really get planted until next spring.
Thanks,

Benjamin Green

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:09 pm

Yea, those first two are "CaneBrake" Timber Rattlers. The other two are Prarie Rattlers which I hunt for in Western Kansas and Eastern Colorado.
The problem with Timbers are the camo they use make it hard to find. The Prarie Rattlers, when I find them are very easy if it was a wet Winter out West (green grass, grey Rattler).
So you can take me RIGHT TO THEM? Reason I ask is that I get told by folks all the time that they have them, then I go out there and I don't see any or even where they might be. THen after talking to them longer they tell me they last seen one about 10 years ago :evil:

Bgreen
Sprout

Post by Bgreen » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:09 pm

Alright Allen you post motivated me today...
I went ahead and put some of my potted plants in today.
I did have to buy the Majesty palm, because it was big and cheap, lol... next year I will add a much better palm! It have a much better feel now! Thank you for wanting pics!

Thanks,

Benjamin Green

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:24 am

Very Nice. What finish are you planning for the planter?

I hope that the majesty palm holds up better than the Livistona chinensis palms I put in my flower bed. This year we have had a lot of Strong East and South East winds which have flattened the fronds against my garage.

If it ever stops raining, I will get the last of the dirt hauled and post a pic or 2.

Allen

Bgreen
Sprout

Post by Bgreen » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:10 pm

Hey Kansas did you get my PM?

Allen,
I am thinking about a darker brown finish. I need to get some samples and test it with the house color.
Thanks,

Benjamin Green

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:38 pm

Sure did. I am thinking in 2 weeks I might call you so I can come see your yard work and maybe have you show me the hot spot for Timbers.

macario
Seedling

Wow

Post by macario » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:07 am

Very nice that looks great. You didnt break your back digging did you?

Bgreen
Sprout

Updated shots

Post by Bgreen » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:36 pm

Here are a few shots to show the bamboo growth near the surface:

And some new bamboo Phyllostachys aurosulcata waiting untill the temps cool back down from 95 plus

Thanks,

Benjamin Green

Bgreen
Sprout

Re: Wow

Post by Bgreen » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:37 pm

macario wrote:Very nice that looks great. You didnt break your back digging did you?
Didn't break my back yet, but as you can see I am not finished yet this year either, lol
Thanks,

Benjamin Green

Bgreen
Sprout

Post by Bgreen » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:56 am

Here are a few updated shot of the planter with almost 2 months of growth.......

I am pretty happy with it this year. To bad in a month it will be bare again
Thanks,

Benjamin Green