Trachy - Why are my new fronds so small, is this normal?

For cold hardy palm tree enthusiasts.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

tropical_niagara
Seed

Trachy - Why are my new fronds so small, is this normal?

Post by tropical_niagara » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:48 am

I purchased the 1 gal. Trachy back in the spring from Broadway in St. Catharines.

When I brought this plant home I noticed it had some serious frost damage and part of the new spear broke off and pulled out.

I thought all was lost, but after some research (thanks to this board, and others) I decided all was not lost and I should give it some time. As the weather began to warm up, I repotted this plant into a larger container and hardened it off for outdoor exposure. The plant began to grow and contiuned to grow well .... the only problem is, all the new fans are very small. The new fans are about 1/2 the size of the original fans on the plant.

I know this plant is still very young, but are these small fans normal? .... their shape is great, but the size looks off to me.

Have a look at these pictures and let me know your thoughts. Don't worry about the Needle Palm behind it - that plant is doing excellent.

Thanks,

turtile
Seedling

Post by turtile » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:47 pm

Its cold damage. The tender growth in the spear (new leaves) get damaged and are not seen until later. It will be fine.

anschluss
Seed

Post by anschluss » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:19 pm

Agreed. Many trees experiencing shock ( from a variety of sources ) have smaller and slower growing foliage initially.

dilbert
Sprout

Post by dilbert » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:39 am

I have seen the same phenomena on Chamaerops humilis. When the frost was too strong and has almost killed the palm, then the leaves of the following summer are miniature ones.

nucci60
Sprout

Post by nucci60 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:31 am

same thing happened to me on my waggie and two regular trachys after a cold winters night in an enclosed sunroom. it is pushing out very small fronds.

tropical_niagara
Seed

Post by tropical_niagara » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:39 am

Thanks for all the info - it is very helpfull. I hope this plant makes a complete recovery ....

The new leaves pushing out now are a little larger. I have a new spear showing that looks to be thick and healthy - perhaps the weather we are having right now is really helping.

I am planning to bring this guy inside this year and perhaps next (during the very cold times only) to see if I can get it ready for a full winter outside. I am not sure about protection - if it doesn't recover, I might sacrifice it to an experiment with minimal to no protection. I want to see how far I can push this type of plant in zone 6.

Does anyone have zone 6 experience with a needle? .... I know mine is still a little young, but I want to plant it outside and offer no protection at all .... think I am crazy?

turtile
Seedling

Post by turtile » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:41 pm

I would give the needle protection when it drops below 10F for the first year. Put a good layer of mulch around the plant too. They are not very hardy their first year planted out but once they acclimate to your climate they should be fine.