Indian Paint Brush

Citrus, Ferns, Hostas, Discuss other plants that don't fit in any other category.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Alchris

Indian Paint Brush

Post by Alchris » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:20 am

While we were driving to Grande Prairie over the weekend, I was amazed at the volume of Indian paint brush between Whitecourt and Little Smokey. Easily 10 times as much as normal. Most of the leaves had turned medium to pale orange instead of a red orange. They also turned color about a month earlier than usual.

In places the Yarrow was huge and easily 5 feet tall, about twice it's normal size.

They have had rain almost every night and warm and sunny during most days this spring. That is probably the reason that these plants are so unusual.

We drove home between 10 PM and 3 AM as Chris, my wife, works at 8:30 tonight. Boy did we get a close up look at the wildlife.

We were within 10 feet of 2 moose, 2 deer and a coyote but only had to slam on the brakes twice. Chris swears that the passenger side mirror hit the moose's beard, but I think that we missed it by at least 6". It was a good thing that the moose was a cow. If it would have had a rack, we would have hit it as it turned to avoid us. When Chris was driving, a deer wandered across the road in front of us. She missed it by at least 2 feet.

I think that it will be a while before we drive that area at night again.

Allen

You don't have to be crazy to grow palms in Alberta..... But it helps

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:59 pm

Allen, thank goodness you folks MISSED all that wildlife (with the car) :)
You weren't by any chance at a family reunion at Grand Prairie...

An employee of ours was at a family reunion at GP this past weekend.
Coincidence? 8)
Barb

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:06 pm

The trip was for emotional support for our daughter. Her latest relationship collapsed and she was having a really rough time dealing with it.

It seems like she has finally hit bottom and is a complete emotional wreck. My wife is taking next week off to be with her. I wish that I was healthy enough to take care of my 2 grandsons. But I am not. They are both quite good kids but, at 2 and 8 years of age, they are just too much for me. We will have both of them for our full vacation from early August until school starts. It should be fun changing diapers again. The oldest's Nana will help as much as she and her spouse can and I am hoping that the fathers will take an interest.

It was just a co-incidence that we went to the same place. The weather was nice though and I hope that your employee enjoyed themselves.

That is the third moose that I have been way too close to in the last 15 years. They were all on the same highway in a 50 mile stretch. I don't worry about hitting deer or other small wildlife, as they will damage the vehicle but not hurt the occupants. At about 2000 lb, a moose can do a lot of damage.

Allen

Bgreen
Sprout

Post by Bgreen » Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:59 am

Sounds like a beautiful area!
I do like moose, but that sounds way to close to them!
Thanks,

Benjamin Green

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:51 pm

It is gorgeous. Almost untouched bush( spruce, poplar, willow trees and other vegetation) for almost all of the distance with the exception of 1 town, 1 OSB plant and 1 oil upgrader and tank field. The wildlife has recovered and there are anlmals in the ditches and the edges of the forest. During daylight you can see them. At night you only see the ones that step up onto the shoulders of the highway.

Allen