Coconut seed How to plant?

Discuss palms you grow inside.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

PhilMusa
Seedling

Coconut seed How to plant?

Post by PhilMusa » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:12 pm

I was recently in Sarasota Florida and while a was returning from the beach :walk: I noticed a coconut that had fallen onto the parking lot. Needless to say I picked it up and brought it home. Does anyone know how to plant coconut seeds?

Thanks
Phil

Arctic Palm
Seedling

Post by Arctic Palm » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:40 pm

From what I have learned, you must plant the coconut with the stem facing up (the stem is where the coconut was attached to the tree) . Bury about half of the nut. keep it moist but not wet and always keep it warm..72+ degrees. It also takes a while. I bought I 5 foot coconut tree and it still had the coconut there...pretty degraded but you cold still see how it was planted.

The coconut should be brown and when you shake it you should be able to hear the milk inside. If it is not brown thats ok, it just needs to sit for a while.

I believe Barrie on this site has a lot of great information as well.

Good Luck

PhilMusa
Seedling

Post by PhilMusa » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:54 am

Thanks Arctic for the information. It is still fairly green and yellow and I hear no water but I will try it any way. I'll let you know if it every sprouts.

Arctic Palm
Seedling

Post by Arctic Palm » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:53 pm

there is a place near Hamilton that has nice coconut palms for sale if you are interested. About 5-6 feet tall.

PhilMusa
Seedling

Post by PhilMusa » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:56 am

Hi Arctic,

I'm not really looking for them, but if the price is reasonable I could let temptation change my mind. Please let me know what they are selling for and if they still have the nut attached.

Thanks,
Phil

Arctic Palm
Seedling

Post by Arctic Palm » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:59 am

They are $75.00. About 6 feet tall. I am coming to North York in the Next few days if you would like to meet somewhere.