Palms at Lyon Arboretum on Oahu

For cold hardy palm tree enthusiasts.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

banana joe
Seedling

Palms at Lyon Arboretum on Oahu

Post by banana joe » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:37 pm

I just returned home from Hawaii several days ago. Every time I'm there it is like being in Palm Heaven. Lyon Arboretum has an unreal collection of palms with over 600 species. I payed my second visit to that particular garden since the Fall of 1999. I could notice a big difference in growth on some of the species. There was a smallish Chamaerops humilis 'Cerifera' growing near the main entrance. Now it is huge! I will send some pics. to Jay so he can post them for you to see. Up in the Manoa Hills it is thick jungle and palms to drool over. I spent over two hours there taking dozens of palm pics. Things we would love to grow here are weeds there. Lyon Arboretum has more palms in the collection than any othre Botanical garden. Cheers, Joe

Growing palms and other exotic plants here in the Southern Gulf Islands.

Jay-Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jay-Admin » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:08 pm

The pics you sent are awesome Joe. Looks like you had really good time seeing all the beautiful palms and exotics. Someday i hope to make it to Hawaii. :) I'll post the pics in a day or two when i have more time.

Regards,
Jay

Wes North Van

Hawaii

Post by Wes North Van » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:09 am

Joe,
I hope to make it there some day. However I am headed down to Tulum Mexico on the Mayan Riveria at the end of November begininng of December. I hope to see lots of palms and yuccas down there,
Joe you mentioned you declared your seeds, what happened and what did you have to tell them to get them across? I was thinfking of doing that when I come back from Mexico.
Wes North Vancouver Zone 8b/9a
Keats Island BC Zone 8a
Palm Springs CA Zone 9b/10a

banana joe
Seedling

Seeds

Post by banana joe » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:57 pm

Jay, Glad you liked the pics. I took approx. 360 or so. I think I sent you near 40. Wes, whenever I'm in Hawaii I always bring back seeds, but they are just in my pocket undeclared. This time my wife said see that sign, that says $10,000 fine. Well I had to go to the Agriculture inspection at Vancouver Airport. The guy came over with his surgical gloves on and inspected the seeds. I told him they were only to be grown indoor as tropical plants. I did clean them in Hawaii. He let me have them no problem. Have fun in Mexico. The closest I've been to the Myan Ruins was when I travelled to Cozumel, Mexico 10 years ago. Have Fun, Joe
Growing palms and other exotic plants here in the Southern Gulf Islands.