Sunshine - How much is too much?

For cold hardy palm tree enthusiasts.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

anschluss
Seed

Sunshine - How much is too much?

Post by anschluss » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:10 am

I'd appreciate some perspectives on sun for younger Trachys. I've got a 7 gallon jobber and want to toughen it up a bit for spring planting. Usually 2 hours a day? Four? How quickly does one add more sun? Or water for that matter. Same goes for other cold hardy palms like Needles, Yuccas. How about Basjoos? Thanks all. I'm trying not to learn everything the hard way.

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:57 am

You will Trachys are the exact opposite of every other palm tree you will ever have or see.
They love the shade and ABSOLTLY HATE direct sunlight. Do NOT put it in direct sunlight, not even for 2-3 hours a day.
In case you can get your hands on some, mine LOVE 2-3 year old cow manure. Mine were all but dead from too much sun. I then repotted in a mixture containing almost 40%, 2-3 year old manure and set in a shady spot. They have put on two new leafs and are greener and thicker trunk in only 3-4 weeks.

nlafrance3
Sprout

Post by nlafrance3 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:56 pm

I figured that trachy's like the shade better then the sun but my trachy has been doing amazingly well in the sun and we haven't had a rainy day for almost a month now. Its been outside all summer. Our summer has been one of the hottest on record with probably around 12 to 15 days close to or over 30 celcius which is 86 farenheit. We even hit 35c(95f) back in july. My palm put out 3 beautiful new fans and is working on a forth which has slown down considerably since september came. But the forecast is supposed to be another 86f day tomorrow. I guess the palm realizes the cooler mornings are a sign of colder days to come, or its talking with the other trees in my yard and they're telling it the scoop. I highly doubt my palm would have put on any more growth in the shade as I tried it in the shade for about 3 weeks and it was no quicker then in the sun. I think that it just doesn't like extremely hot sunny weather like in Florida or Nevada. I saw many trachies in San Jose that were out in full sun doing perfectly fine this summer. I hope that doesn't confuse you with what Kansas said. I think the windmill has a good tolerance to anything in between shade and warm sun (not hot like over 90f all summer). Check out my new pics I just took today to see its full progress through the summer.

http://community.webshots.com/user/nlafrance3

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:15 pm

Very nice Nate.

Allen
You don't have to be crazy to grow palms in Alberta..... But it helps

nlafrance3
Sprout

Post by nlafrance3 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:20 pm

thanks allen, where are the new pics of your palms?