Newbie in Metro Vancouver

For cold hardy palm tree enthusiasts.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

hilashes
Seedling

Newbie in Metro Vancouver

Post by hilashes » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:40 am

Hello all!

I live in the Vancouver area and I planted 2 two-foot Trachys last summer. I've been so excited about them, as all my life I only dreamed of having two palm trees in my backyard! In caring for them I've kept in contact with the nursery I bought them from and searching the palm sites for advice. I'm glad to have found this site and look forward to sharing experiences with the rest of you Trachy and palm lovers alike!
What a winter we've had this year...the amount of snow was UNREAL! I prepared my palms for the usual Vancouver winter as instructed (mulched well around with red wood chips, etc) and covered them once the snow hit. My main concern is that I didn't cover them right away when the temps dropped below 0. I guess I thought they were ok until the actual snowfall, so for all I know if there were any damage to worry about, it might have already been done? Will see in the spring. I've posted some pics below....the first one newly planted and then covered with blankets in Dec first snowfall (supported by soft mesh wire I found in the basement). Since the temperatures this week have risen above zero I uncovered them to let them 'breathe'. They look pretty good I guess, they're green but have what looks like a bit of mold on them. It rained heavy and steadily yesterday and through the night (some mixed with snow) so I put a clear thick plastic cover over top to protect them from root rot or further mold. I have also been told they don't like "wet feet".

Not sure if I'm doing the right thing so far? It's supposed to dry up this week for a few days with full sun and 7 celcius.
Any input would be great! I also have to mention that I planted a banana tree Musa Basjoo in the front yard. so fun!

Thanks, :D
Heidi

Cameron_z6a_N.S.
Large Palm

Post by Cameron_z6a_N.S. » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:12 am

welcome to the forum, Heidi! nice pics!

hilashes
Seedling

Post by hilashes » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:34 am

Thanks Cameron!

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:42 am

Hi Heidi, welcome to PN.

Heard that Vancouver will be 15C 59F by mid-week. :D

Great yard, great pics.
How tough is it to mow your triangle grass areas? :shock:

Your yard is obviously sheltered which creates a nice microclimate.
I've learned planting areas include a lot of trade-offs:
In an area like Vancouver that gets a lot of rain, drainage is important, so a high-on-the-property planting location might be better. BUT then the palms are more exposed to northwest winter winds, generally necessitating a fairly robust winter protection structure.
Cold tends to settle into low points, which generally have poor drainage.

Trachys--as they age--are virtually bulletproof, especially where you are.
It'll be great to watch 'em grow this summer.
How much protection did your musa basjooo receive over winter?
Barb

hilashes
Seedling

Post by hilashes » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:07 am

Hi Barb, nice to meet you...thanks for the comments and warm welcome! yes I'm looking forward to our warmer weather! Our backyard faces a sloped tree line which does provide lots of shelter. We have pretty good drainage with lots of rocks (my retaining wall is great for that) and sandy/clay based soil. I use a rotary push mower for the lawn, it might look tricky to manoeuvre but it's actually pretty easy. I can't wait to see what the Trachys will look like in the summer. My husband thought for sure they woudn't make this winter. Maybe I AM doing something right! :D

Below are some pics of the Musa Basjoo - one in the summer and the other I covered at first frost. The nursery sells these banana jackets for $20 ea. After pruning you just slip it over and stuff a couple of plastic shopping bags inside from the top. I can take it off probably this week but I'll call the nursery first. You wouldn't believe our snowbank stood nearly to the top! It's now flopped over as the snow has melted - we'll see how this will all turn out. I'll try and post some pics of that this week if I do uncover it.

I noticed you're from Vernon! I lived there in the '90's, I still go there to visit family!! I Love the Okanagan, how do your palms overwinter there? :D

Heidi

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:40 am

Heidi,
Sounds like your soil--with rocks/sand/clay--will be ideal for drainage.

Nice musa; it'll love that sunny exposure.
I hadn't seen those jackets before.
A lot of folks here use left-over wire fencing to make a leaf basket (stuffing with...obviously, leaves) and then a waterproof cover.
Yes please post pics if/when you uncover it (15C would be pretty warm inside that black plastic...you might have fruit on there soon :lol: :lol: ).

I'm the ONLY chicken on this site...have never overwintered anything outdoors.
I always chicken out -- usually mid-October or so -- and dig it up again to put indoors.
My palms/yuccas/sole musa/etc. suffer from too much handling.

But this year, I swear my 32 year old Trachy is going into the ground...for winter.
(no-one here will believe that) :wink:

You're from Vernon; I'm from Vancouver (moved to Vernon 32 yrs ago). :lol:
Barb

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:09 pm

Welcome Heidi. I`m also originally from Vancouver. Those Trachy`s will just fine. Tell your husband they will be around for a very very long time. Here are some pics of overwintering Trachy`s and needle palms in Kelowna. So far only had to turn on heat lamps off and on for about two weeks so far. Here is the topic from a couple weeks back.
www.palmsnorth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2125

Barb good to hear your planting that Trachy this year!

John
Okanagan Palms and Tropicals
6b-7a

hilashes
Seedling

Post by hilashes » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:09 pm

I'm from Alberta and BC.... mainly BC.
Vancouver, Vernon and now Vancouver again.

So did you bring that Trachy from Vancouver? WOW how tall is it? Regarding overwintering outdoors...you should try leaving one out this year for a trial run and see what happens! Have you thought of that? Should be interesting! A lot of people from Ontario have managed, from what I've read on some forums. some are in the same zone as you.

I just got off the phone from the nursery and they said to uncover the banana in March. I noted that it had fallen over and it's possible the mother plant didn't make it through our unusually cold -17C temps!! yikes! but lots of pups will come up regardless. it's a wait and see I guess. I've heard about some of the methods of covering the bananas. too much work for me.. ha ha. I'd do it if I had to though of course...anything for our babies!

Heidi :D
Last edited by hilashes on Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jay-Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jay-Admin » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:20 pm

Welcome to PalmsNorth Heidi. :D

Cheers,
Jay

hilashes
Seedling

Post by hilashes » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:56 pm

Hi John! Thanks for the link, very impressive pics! I could learn a lot from you guys. That's quite a set-up you have and your Trachys have turned out really nicely! I have tried to reassure my husband that I'm not crazy and that these palms are hardy. With the blankets over top I didn't think it would be enough in the deep arctic freeze but they seem to be ok. I wanted to put bulbs in my little 'hut' but my husband said, "now you're totally off your rocker!" lol

I just think it's so much fun.

Thanks for the welcome too, Jay, nice to see people in familiar territory!

Heidi

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:17 pm

Hi and welcome Heidi :D

As all of will tell you, this passion always starts with just a "couple of palms".
I won't add anything other than to say, your palms will require no winter protection once they establish.

Cheers, Barrie.

hilashes
Seedling

Post by hilashes » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:28 pm

Thanks Barrie - that's nice to hear! Especially after THIS bizarre winter we had!
Hmmm, maybe I'll plant two more this summer.

:lol:

Heidi

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:13 pm

Yup, John, definitely gonna plant the beggar out this year!
Especially after seeing your outdoor set-ups.
Have already selected the spot on East side of house (so it doesn't bake in our summer heat).
So did you bring that Trachy from Vancouver? WOW how tall is it?
It's the bonsai shown in my avatar. About 6 feet tall in its pot. :lol: :lol:
I remember when we moved here with a 2 week old baby and my little Trachy in its 6-inch pot. :lol:
Heck of a long time ago.

Vancouver will likely not have another winter like this one for another 50 years, so Barrie's instruction is bang-on.

I've never wanted to leave one out for a Trial Run...didn't want to risk losing any of my palms.
Good thing too, as our low this year (so far) was -25C.
Will also plant out the Trachy Nainital as it's even more bulletproof than the T.fortunei.

If your musa cage has fallen over, maybe during your mild temps this week remove the cage and readjust it for more stability.

There are folks here from Ontario, Alberta, Kansas, Iowa, Idaho, South Carolina, Chicago, even the Crimea! ( :oops: have I forgotten anybody?)
You'll love this forum, Heidi.
I sure do.
Barb

hilashes
Seedling

Post by hilashes » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:23 pm

Thanks so much Barb, sounds like I found the right place!
Your Bonsai looks so nice. I'll have to look up Trachy Nainita, as I'm not familiar with the other Trachy species. (did I say that right?)
I will readjust the banana this week, will let you know what I see! Sounds like I'll have a lot of inspiration from this forum..thanks again to everyone and looking forward to meeting everyone else!

Heidi :D

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:03 pm

The nainital is similar to T.fortunei but leaves are a bit shorter.
Seems to take windy conditions with little damage to fronds.
Fortunei hates windy sites, fronds are often shredded by wind.

The nainital last year:

Next time you're at the nursery, perhaps also keep an eye out for Washingtonia robusta or W.filifera for a hot location beside your banana.

Oh...and you'll want to read some of the germinating posts.
And then you'll get into germinating equipment for palms and cycads and yuccas. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And yippeeeeeee, you're on your way.
Your husband will never forgive us. :D
Barb

hilashes
Seedling

Post by hilashes » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:08 pm

woo hoo! thanks Barb! I'll keep my eyes open at the nursery....I've also planned to plant a couple of yuccas this summer around the banana. there's so much out there, this will be fun. I had come across a few germination posts and it seems a bit overwhelming but interesting! that is a nice picture of your T. nainital. I'll get used to detail soon I'm sure.
I'm laughing about my husband.... :lol:

Heidi

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:27 pm

Heidi ... I notice you're indicating a zone 7b. Unless you're in the area east of Langley, you should be a zone 8.
"Hmmm, maybe I'll plant two more this summer." See ... it's started already :lol:

Cheers, Barrie.

hilashes
Seedling

Post by hilashes » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:05 pm

Hey Barrie, thanks for this! I wondered if I was in zone 8, as it's been a while since I looked it up and I knew I was on the brink of an 8. This is so great to know.
"Hmmm, maybe I'll plant two more this summer." See ... it's started already
Well now I've got palm fever! :lol:

Heidi

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:02 am

That wasn't the greatest zone map representation. Zone maps in general are a very small part of the overalll picture.

Cheers, Barrie

hilashes
Seedling

Post by hilashes » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:30 am

Hi Barrie, here are some pics of the T.fortunei after I uncovered them a couple of days ago. How to they look to you? Or if anyone has some feedback? Not sure what to look for if they don't look well. To me they're green so I think they're ok.

Thanks!
Heidi

[/img]

[/img]

hilashes
Seedling

Trachys Uncovered

Post by hilashes » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:31 am

Hi Barrie, here are some pics of the T.fortunei after I uncovered them a couple of days ago. How to they look to you? Or if anyone has some feedback? Not sure what to look for if they don't look well. To me they're green so I think they're ok.

Thanks!
Heidi

[/img]

[/img]

hilashes
Seedling

Trachys Uncovered

Post by hilashes » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:32 am

Thanks!
Heidi

[/img]Image

hilashes
Seedling

Post by hilashes » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:34 am

sorry, I'm still learning how to post.... :oops:

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:00 pm

They look fine Heidi, a bit on the small side which is always harder on them during the worst that winter threw our way recently. There may be some browning on the fronds once spring gets underway. When they grow larger they'll develop their true hardiness levels and less care is required.

Cheers, Barrie.

hilashes
Seedling

Post by hilashes » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:24 pm

Barrie - thanks for the reassurance!

oppalm
Small Palm

Post by oppalm » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:25 am

a belated welcome to you Heidi. Your T Fortuneis look pretty typical of what happens during winter. In your zone they should be fine. In just few years you will be the resident palm expert. keep up the good work.
Kent in Kansas
where it's cold in winter (always)
and hot in summer (usually)
<object width="290" height="130"><param name="movie" value="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_min ... sh&lang=EN" /><embed src="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_min ... sh&lang=EN" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="290" height="130" /></object>

hilashes
Seedling

Post by hilashes » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:58 am

Well, thank you oppalm for the lovely welcome! Nice to meet you all the way from Kansas! :D

Heidi