Okanagan Heat

Discuss your weather and climate here.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:49 am

Barrie,
You're right, the heat's returning...supposed to be 34 C again by Fri or Sat.

Yes, took that pic of an Eastward sky at my place...great to see a cloud--any cloud--again. :lol:
Barb

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

More heat

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:10 pm

It`s going to be mid 30`s c mid 90`s f for the next few days. I can count on one hand how many days of rain we`ve had since mid June. Been sunny and hot all summer.This summer has been perfect IMO.Ontario just broke the record for the wettest summer ever. They will probably end up having a great fall season as the weather usually evens out. At least they don`t have to worry about watering plants.

John
Okanagan Palms and Tropicals
6b-7a

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:47 am

John ... I'll bet some places will hit 38c (100f) or better in the next few days.
Plenty of rain in the east huh? I guess we don't get any weather reports for those areas so I was completely unaware of their situation. If there's anyone from those areas that post here, maybe an update is possible?

Cheers, Barrie.

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:22 pm

It was 39.4c 102f in Lytton B.C. yesterday .We should be close to breaking records for the next three days. It will easily be over 42c 108f places like Lytton and Osoyoos. Kelowna looks to be 39c 102f.Vacouver ond the island are heating up as well 35c 97f temperature records will be broken for sure all over the lower mainland. Time to go for a swim in the lake me thinks.
Here is an interesting site

www.currentresults.com/Weather-Extremes ... ottest.php
6b-7a

Arctic Palm
Seedling

ENOUGH!

Post by Arctic Palm » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:26 pm

ok, I hate to be the party pooper but I think its rude of our friends in the west to be hogging all the warm sunny weather. Here in Ontario, we have had rain 92 percent of the days since summer started. Basically it rains everyday for a little while. Today was sunny all day till about 6pm then within 20 minutes it clouded up and rained. As far as temps go, 24c has been the warmest day in memory. Usually we have 30 plus degree temps almost all summer, this year we have had 6. I dont remember such a cool wet summer, it almost feels like B.C or England.
BOO TO SUMMER!!!

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:45 pm

Arctic, after the unbelievable heat we've had, I'll trade with you in a heartbeat.

A thunderstorm just went through, unfortunately dry, though we were hoping for a good dump of rain.
I think Kelowna got pounded with rain.
Missed us by 30 miles.
Damn.

Barb

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:59 am

Finally 10 degrees cooler and lots of rain overnight.

Have a look at last night's sky:

Barb

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:11 am

Still no measurable rain here ... although a very light sprinkle barely got the driveway wet 2 nights ago. Yes cooler here too down to around 24c yesterday from 34c the previous day. I was in Port Alberni on Saturday and it was 37c (98.6f) and not a lick of wind. The short drive down into the Alberni Valley from the summit and you could feel the temperature increase by the minute.

Cheers, Barrie.

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:53 am

The last few days have seen late summer heat near 30 c 88 f . It should top 30 c today and tomorrow. Plants enjoying the heat as well as us humans.

John
6b-7a

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:58 pm

We've had carbon copy days for at least a week now. Today was really the first in the latest stretch without any breeze. Everyday has been 26 celcius under clear sunny skies. 8)

Cheers, Barrie.

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:42 pm

It's only because of shorter daylight hours that we don't hit 40 C again.
Barb

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:13 am

32 c or 90 f today. Got to love this late summer heat wave over last week or so.People out on their boats and on the beach.

John
6b-7a

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:52 pm

The bottom fell out of the thermometer today ... only 21c forecast here and that may not happen if the sun doesn't burn through the high overcast conditions.

Cheers, Barrie.

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

Last sunburn

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:10 pm

Well we`ve had a great run of fall weather in B.C. it`s been 25c 78f Kelowna airport 27c 82f at my house in Kelowna for the last five days. The endless summer is coming to an end. Time to think about heading south for the winter.

John
6b-7a

Jay-Admin
Site Admin

Re: Last sunburn

Post by Jay-Admin » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:29 pm

Okanagan desert-palms wrote:Well we`ve had a great run of fall weather in B.C. it`s been 25c 78f Kelowna airport 27c 82f at my house in Kelowna for the last five days. The endless summer is coming to an end. Time to think about heading south for the winter.

John
I second that. Arizona sounds good. :D

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:20 pm

Have you noticed that the BC interior temps are now lower than the west coast / island temps? It must have been some time about two or three weeks ago roughly. That is a true indicator of a season shift, as it is in late spring when interior temps surpass coastal. For about a week or two during this transition period, temps can be near equal.
This is always subject to variation during this unsettled time.

Cheers, Barrie.

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:10 am

Barrie,
I'm always amazed how the jet stream swings further north in the Fall.
Likely from changing ocean currents.

The northern coast of BC gets nailed with rain day after day, while the Okanagan's mostly dust.

Barb

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:58 am

I could never live in the northern or even central coast. Places like Prince Rupert and the Queen Charlotte Islands are bombarded even through the summer months, and temps rarely ever seem to get above 21°C (70°F) on a good day.

Cheers, Barrie.