Guess this palm.. pics of xmas palms seedlings..& more

For cold hardy palm tree enthusiasts.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Arctic Palm
Seedling

Guess this palm.. pics of xmas palms seedlings..& more

Post by Arctic Palm » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:37 pm

hey everyone,
I was at a nursery around here and there was large queen palms for sale, around the base of the queens there were these little seedlings growing. Logically I thought maybe they were baby queens...I dug up a few, and asked if I could have them..they said they were just weeds and go ahead. I lost all but one, and its doing well. is this a palm or a weed?

I picked some seeds from a adonidia palm in south florida when i was there in Feb of this year. they have done very well in 4.5 months.

this bismarck was pretty much dead and so Tony at broadway let me take it home 2 weeks ago...I repotted it and drowned it in miracle grow and left it...look what I found yesterday morning

this is one of the washys I bought last year from a place in B.C, had 2 droopy fans then...doing very well

My big washy that took a real hit from some severe wind storms in may...just starting to push out new growth

This is my large foxtail..the longest new spear has been there since last fall..its not opening and there are 2 other spears growing in..any ideas?

lastly...my back deck cluttered and messy...gotta clean it.

cedardave
Sprout

Post by cedardave » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:30 pm

They all look really good. Did the seedlings you dug up have a seed attached? They kinda look like grass to me...

Arctic Palm
Seedling

Post by Arctic Palm » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:12 pm

Well if it is grass, I am going to grow the best darn blade of grass anyone on this site has seen!!!

Dean W.
Small Palm

Post by Dean W. » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:40 pm

Artic Palm,

I'm not sure about the baby plants.

The Adonidia look great! The Bismark looks good too. My question is how do you get away growing the Foxtails outside in Canada?

Dean

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:28 pm

It's a blade of grass, not a palm. I have grown many Queen palms & that is not a queen palm.

Arctic Palm
Seedling

Post by Arctic Palm » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:59 am

It figures it just a blade of grass...oh well, I ll let it grow. No harm.

Its easy to grow a foxtail here, as soon as it snows in the end of august, we build a tall narrow igloo which protects it till the snow is gone in June.

That was a joke! :lol: our snow doesnt come till mid september.

J

P.S i keep them in a high school greenhouse