Yet another ?? about my Washy seeds

For cold hardy palm tree enthusiasts.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Kansas

Yet another ?? about my Washy seeds

Post by Kansas » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:28 pm

They only have about an inch root right now. No leaves or anything.
Should I pull out and plant in potting soil yet?
If so, how deep do I put the seed?

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:07 pm

Kansas you should plant them when you see the root and green stem are going separate ways. Plant so the green stem is just below the suface of the soil. I would use 1 gal pots with well draining soil, peat ,perlite or vermiculite coarse sand mix it all together. I would also use superthive to saturate the pots before so they get a good head start on the transplant.Don`t fertilize for the first 6 weeks as they are still getting their nutrients from their seed pods.Washingtonia filifera-robusta are the easiest in my opinion to germinate and grow they only need water when you stick your finger in the soil to 1" depth and it is still dry they need a good soaking. You should expect to see by the 4th strap leaf ;the palmate leaf. Mine are 5 months in the soil and are on their 5 leaf. These Palms are bullet proof to look after as long as they get a "LOTS" of light. How many Washy`s do you have?Also what species are they?
Regards ,John 8)
Ps. I will post recent pics of my Wash. filifera in the photo gallery.
Okanagan Palms and Tropicals
6b-7a

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:13 pm

AWSOME AWSOME AWSOME instructions!!!
They are Robusta. I got them from a guy in Wichita Kansas. I HOPEFULLY have a bunch of Filf coming from Las Vegas any day now. Are they about the same germination speed?
The Robusta, I soaked for 24 hrs, sowed in wet perlite-peat in a baggie, put on top of heating pad used for muscles and aches, put it on medium, and within 2-3 weeks, I now got roots.
Thanks again man. I will look for green tonight.

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:45 pm

Kansas these seeds will germinate in my opinion just as fast and deal with the cold better than W .robusta.They are reportedly 5 degrees more cold resistant than W.robusta. I just sowed my first 50 seeds of W. filibusta I`m sure they will germinate just the same as either species. With protection these palms will be an eye opener?
John 8)
Okanagan Palms and Tropicals
6b-7a