Alchris (Alberta) & Jay (BC interior): wagnerianus seedl

For cold hardy palm tree enthusiasts.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Islander
Sprout

Alchris (Alberta) & Jay (BC interior): wagnerianus seedl

Post by Islander » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:00 pm

I have started a project to produce thousands of Trachycarpus wagnerianus seedlings for the BC coast. I have seeds from various trees in North America but one American had unique wagnerianus palms that were so dark green and the foliage was less divided. I have one juvenile specimen and seeds from his trees. I want to share them with selected individuals. I'm not to the point of producing thousands of seeds but I expect crop this year. That seed will be shared in areas where T. fortunei has been growing for years. The trees are from various sources in Asia, BC and the US. I'm using the seeds that are too many. I use discarded Garry Oak compost to grow wagnerianus palms at all stages. The excess seed (& seedlings) are given to promote the existence of this not so common palm.

I am awaiting the germination of seeds. Once they germinate I can mail (no charge) to Jay in the BC interior and to Alchris in Alberta. It is easy to spread seeds & seedlings along the coast. So the near future will bring various wagnerianus samples to Duncan, Ladysmith, Vancouver, Tsawwassen, Tofino and of course Greater Victoria. Recipients are random palmnuts.

T. fortunei seedlings are free for all residents of Victoria. I must clear seedlings in a large garden that is not mine. I was called out to "save" them. People actually pay for them in Victoria while I see them weeded at work in areas of loose, irrigated soil. I have 50 000 (rough number) of seeds to plant (or destroy) so I have decided to plant them on Salt Spring and in Victoria. Residents are to collect the seedlings.

There should be more palms at English Bay.

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:24 pm

Good Luck on your project.

I hope to help you spread the Waggy around.

Allen
You don't have to be crazy to grow palms in Alberta..... But it helps

Jay-Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jay-Admin » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:47 pm

Sure. :) Let me know when they are ready.

Regards,
Jay

Cali-wanna-b
Seedling

Post by Cali-wanna-b » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:56 pm

You can spread some of those waggies down south to Pennsylvania if you like!!! :lol:
Not the pot I was expecting........

Wes North Van

Denis

Post by Wes North Van » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:22 pm

Great idea.
Wagnerainus should be as common as Fortunei but for some reason they are so hard to get. Good Luck!
Wes North Vancouver Zone 8b/9a
Keats Island BC Zone 8a
Palm Springs CA Zone 9b/10a

Islander
Sprout

Wes: Returning the favour

Post by Islander » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:04 pm

... to the Vancouver area. I have the Vancouver area to thank because I purchased my first wagnerianus specimens on the lower mainland. I found some more in the US and brought a juvenile specimen over for a palm society member on Salt Spring. I agree that wagnerianus is not the easiest find but people give me tips on where to find them when they are available. I've also been lucky finding wagnerianus specimens.

The annual palm charity sale in Victoria will eventually make use of my seeds & seedlings. That will open Vancouver Island residents open access to wagnerianus seeds. I handed fresh fortunei seeds and hundreds of seedlings for this year's sale. That makes use of the stuff that is extra.

Enjoy the long weekend
There should be more palms at English Bay.