Washingtonia filifera spear pull

For cold hardy palm tree enthusiasts.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Cali-wanna-b
Seedling

Washingtonia filifera spear pull

Post by Cali-wanna-b » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:16 pm

Hi all,

I have had my first casualty of the winter with a 4 year old potted filifera I had indoors. I am guessing that I over watered it. Any chance of the palm recovering with a fungicide application or should I chuck it in the trash?

Craig

turtile
Seedling

Post by turtile » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:21 pm

I would try applying fungicide/bactericide every one to two weeks and wait to see what happens. A lot of times it takes many months for the spear to recover.

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:29 pm

You can also dump some Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) down where the spear pulled. If you use a copper based funguscide be aware that copper can become toxic if used too often.
Last edited by Laaz on Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cali-wanna-b
Seedling

Post by Cali-wanna-b » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:39 pm

Alright you guys talked me into it. I will put the Cali in the intensive care unit and see what happens. I hate to lose this guy, he was my first cold hardy and has about 2' of trunk. Should I cut any of the trunk off in order to get to green tissue or just spray into the existing cavity?

Craig

Wes North Van

Cali

Post by Wes North Van » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:59 pm

What I have done before was drill a hole in the trunk just were the solid green growth still is and then poured fungicide in the spear. That way the fungicide just doesn't sit in the palm. I agree with Laaz be aware copper fungicide is toxic to palms.
Interesting that it would have a spear pull when it has been inside.

I still have two washingtonia robustas outside under my soffit right against the house in 5 gallon pots. So far so good and with only a month to a month and a half left of winter, it looks good that they will make it.

I hope yours makes it.
Wes North Vancouver Zone 8b/9a
Keats Island BC Zone 8a
Palm Springs CA Zone 9b/10a

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:25 pm

I have just poured it right in the hole where the spear was, let it sit there for about an hour & then dump it out (If potted) I did this to a queen in the ground a few years ago & just left it in there. Three weeks later a new (deformed) spear emerged. The second spear was fine. BTW that is the same queen I stiff have growing and doing great.

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:56 pm

I agree with Laaz. DO NOT THROW IT AWAY.
My reason is this...
I have heard that Washingtonia species VERY OFTEN have spear pull in the Winter and come back. I have never had this problem, but then again, I have not had one get that size either. HOWEVER, I did have a PDP that had spear pull. I had heard that when PDP's had spear pull, it's all over but the shouten. HOWEVER, I kept it and put it in bright, direct sun and watered, watered, watered in the Spring. And I tell you what, that PDP is by far one of my best, most prolific grower. It has easily put on 7" of trunk in 9 months (for those that don't know, thats good growth rate for a PDP) and has two wonderful, tall leafs emerging and ready to open.
So keep the faith!!!! Don't throw it out.

Cali-wanna-b
Seedling

Post by Cali-wanna-b » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:05 am

Interesting that it would have a spear pull when it has been inside.
I divide my waterings into two groups so I am not doing all of them at one time. I screwed up and gave the Washy a double soaking last month. Combine that with almost no sunshine last month and the pot stayed wet too long. My bad........

Thanks all,
Craig